Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sgb1201
Helper I
Helper I

Stored data deleted every hour

Hey, 

I have an interesting problem. I'm doing some data visualization, where I'm using data from our database. However, everytime PowerBI updates the data, it only shows the data from the last hour. I.e. if the time is 10.10, the data will only date back to 09.10, which is a problem as I want the visualization to show the data on a day-to-day basis. 
The data is available if I manually select the date in the database, but everytime PowerBI "calls" the database, it only shows a "snapshot" of the last hour and deletes the preexisting data. 

What would be the easiest way of dealing with this issue? The simplest solution would probably be to simply add the new data to the existing data with every update (and then make it refresh/delete everything in the evening -- around 22.00(?)) and then repeat the next day. Is this possible in PowerBI? Or is there another solution I'm missing? 

Apologies for any confusion and thanks in advance :-). 

Sgb1201_0-1660893882182.png

Best regards, 

Sebastian 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Sgb1201 ,

Yes, you can do that. But be careful not to make changes to the values in the exported file, otherwise once you have used refresh, power bi desktop will update it again to the latest data. I would recommend that you have two copies of the file, one for the original data and one for the modifications, so that you can make sure that the data is kept up to date and can also be compared to the original data.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sgb1201 ,

Do you mean that every time you refresh, the data changes to new data, but you still want to keep the original data?

If so, there is no direct way to stop this process, because for powe bi, your refresh is equivalent to re-importing the data, so data changes are inevitable.

If you stick with this idea, all you can do is copy the query and re-import it into a new, it seems to be more cumbersome.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft

Thanks for the reply! 

Yes, exactly --Thats too bad. Would an easier solution perhaps be to make powerbi export the data into a local folder or sharepoint etc., and then get the data from there instead? 

Hi @Sgb1201 ,

Yes, you can do that. But be careful not to make changes to the values in the exported file, otherwise once you have used refresh, power bi desktop will update it again to the latest data. I would recommend that you have two copies of the file, one for the original data and one for the modifications, so that you can make sure that the data is kept up to date and can also be compared to the original data.

Best regards,

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Sgb1201,

Bet solution is switching to a Slowly Changing Dimension Type 2.

I don't think you can easily achieve this in Power BI. This should rather be applied in something like Azure.

Unfortunatly I don't think there will be an easy solution for this. 

**bleep**. Oh well. I will look into it -- I'm not hearing you say that it's impossible! 

Thanks for the reply. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.