Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Store data obtained in reports

What I want to do is, without assembling a previous BigData architecture, but they are very simple queries that serve as data extraction after I do a transformation and calculation of the data. I would like to be able to store the data day by day that I show shown in the reports to create trend charts.

Can this be done in PowerBI? Or do I need to mount an entire architecture behind it that has all these values stored day by day and PowerBi tool only from Businnes Intelligent?

I have 2 different databases totally as a data source.

I am starting in this bi world and I do not know very well how to mount an architecture, if it is worth it for what I have to do but I do not know if it will be necessary to create the trends that ask me.

Thanks a lot.

5 REPLIES 5
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can also learn more about: historical data preservation using power Bi dataflow

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, whether or not your data qualifies as requiring a "Big Data" I can't say. But, if you want to do what you are saying without a bunch of pre-processing of data, you could always insert an R or Python step in your queries to export your data to a file for example. Then you would have a log of the data for every time your data refreshed. Difficult to be very specific with the information provided.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's exactly what I'd need.

Before the data is updated, export it. I'm told what would I be with Phyton or R? Where should I do it?

Do you advise me to have a previous bbdd where I do all the transformations and here store the data as I want?

I'm a little lost in how to store this data.

Thanks a lot.

Well, what I am proposing is kind of the opposite, you would store the data after you import it versus export the data before you import the new data, but should end up the same result. You would do this in the Power Query Editor and add an R step or Python step to your query(s).

Difficult to say how you store it. CSV's are always popular, they avoid you having to know about databases. You could simply grab a timestamp and name the file that, so like 20200505000815AM.csv for example.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your almost immediate support.

I think that in the end I will collect the data from the bbdd and insert it into an intermediate database and this is where I will do the data transformations and with a Java or .Net program or BBDD script I will store the values of the reports day by day.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.