Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop ranking measure dynamically changing when data is sliced

So as many of you will know I have a beautiful ranking measure which ranks average months active by group:

Rank: Months Active = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('ELIGIBLE_POLICY'[GROUP POLICY NAME]),CALCULATE(SUM('ELIGIBLE_POLICY_HH'[AVERAGE_MONTHS ACTIVE])))

So this is super when in an unfiltered table, but when I filter the table on GROUP POLICY NAME so I can see just one group, the rank measure changes to 1.

I know why this is happenening, but I don't what it to. I want to be able to see their rank value against all groups, irrespective of whether the data has been sliced. 

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

What happens when you modify your DAX as follows:

Rank: Months Active = RANKX(ALL('ELIGIBLE_POLICY'),CALCULATE(SUM('ELIGIBLE_POLICY_HH'[AVERAGE_MONTHS ACTIVE])))

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try chnging your DAX to as follows:

Rank: Months Active = RANKX(ALL('ELIGIBLE_POLICY'[GROUP POLICY NAME]),CALCULATE(SUM('ELIGIBLE_POLICY_HH'[AVERAGE_MONTHS ACTIVE])))

Let me know how this shows the output.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Pragati11 - this works beautifully if I only apply a slicer against the field [GROUP POLICY NAME] but each group has a reference or two associated to it, which people can also use to slice the data. 

When I slice by Group reference instead of the GROUP NAME, the ranking goes to 1 still. 

Is there any way around this? 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can you share me some screesnhots around this please?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure @Pragati11, see attached - focus on the top row 1 HOTEL and the slicer applied.

SSBeforeFilter.png

SSGroupNameFilter.png

  

SSGroupIDFilter.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

What happens when you modify your DAX as follows:

Rank: Months Active = RANKX(ALL('ELIGIBLE_POLICY'),CALCULATE(SUM('ELIGIBLE_POLICY_HH'[AVERAGE_MONTHS ACTIVE])))

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pragati11 it's no longer affected by the filter but it's not ranking 1 - 100, it's got some odd values, who would have been rank 1 is now rank 20, rank 2 then jumps to 317. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.