Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Split data into monthly budget figure

Hello, I have a table with a monthly budget figure in gbal,(gb-budget) that has that monthly budget amount and then a semi-colon and then the next month ETC as below. To add complication this is our financial year so in the gb-budget column for 2018 below the 1st figure month is February 2018 and the last is January 2019. I need to also drop the last 0 as well.

gaidgb-budgetgb-year
560350000;351500;353000;354000;355500;357000;358500;359500;361000;362500;364000;365500;02018
5600;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;02017

I have the actuals in another table so I want to display the budget figure month and year against the actual figure month and year. Is there a way of putting this into a table like this?

The actuals table is made up of a combination of what we have invoiced. the table is custinvd in a column called Net Value

sorry hopefully i have explained this correctly

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

If I understood correctly, you want the values as separate columns.

In the Query Editor you can use the Split Column feature - this create separate columns based on a delimiter - in this case a semicolon. To drop the last 0 just delete the 13th column created by the split.

split2.PNGsplit.PNG

To get the years and months correctly you could add a month prefix to each column, unpivot the columns, create a custom column with the correct month-year combination and then extract the prefixes. (I cut some corners, but the principle is the same)

split5.PNGsplit4.PNGsplit3.PNG

Hope this helps.

Br,

T

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous thanks for your help, the first bit I did and get where you are going but the 2nd bit I can't get my head around (sorry my power BI knowledge is not that great).

could you spell it out a little bit for me please (even put the formulas on here)

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Sure thing!

When you've splitted the columns, add prefix indicating the month. E.g. the first column represents Feb 2018 so add a prefix "Feb", similarly the last column (after you've deleted the 0 value column) is Jan 2019 so adda prefix "Jan" --> this can be done through the transform tab and format - add prefix feature.prefix.PNG

After that select all the month columns and in the Transform tab click Unpivot Columns. Then, from the Add Column tab, add a custom column with this formula 

if  Text.Contains([Value],"Jan") then [year column name]+1 else [year column name]

Then, on the Add Column tab, click Extract - text before delimiter and choose space as the delimiter. Then switch back to the Transform tab click Extract - text after delimiter and choose space as the delimiter.

Here is the outcome:

outcome.PNG

You can also open the advanced editor from the Home tab in Query Editor and copy my code - you just have to make sure your column a named the same way as mine are! Here's my code after splitting and deleting the extra column:

#"Added Prefix" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Columns", {{"gd-budget.1", each "February " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix", {{"gd-budget.2", each "March " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix2" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix1", {{"gd-budget.3", each "Apr " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix4" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix2", {{"gd-budget.4", each "May " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix5" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix4", {{"gd-budget.5", each "June " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix6" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix5", {{"gd-budget.6", each "July " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix7" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix6", {{"gd-budget.7", each "August " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix8" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix7", {{"gd-budget.8", each "September " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix9" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix8", {{"gd-budget.9", each "October " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix10" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix9", {{"gd-budget.10", each "November " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix11" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix10", {{"gd-budget.11", each "December " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Added Prefix3" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix11", {{"gd-budget.12", each "January " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Prefix3", {"gaid", "gd-year"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Correct Year", each if  Text.Contains([Value],"Jan") then [#"gd-year"]+1 else [#"gd-year"]),
    #"Inserted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Correct Month", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Value], " "), type text),
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Inserted Text Before Delimiter", {{"Value", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, " "), type text}})
in
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter"

If you have trouble, send a picture of your table in the query editor and your advanced editor code!

Br,

T

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous thanks again. I tried you code and had to change the column from gd to gb but I am getting an error as below

Capture.JPG

Here is the code I am using

let
Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=moveware", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
MOVEWARE_Database = Source{[Name="MOVEWARE",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
PUB_Schema = MOVEWARE_Database{[Name="PUB",Kind="Schema"]}[Data],
gbal_Table = PUB_Schema{[Name="gbal",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(gbal_Table, "gb-budget", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(";", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"gb-budget.1", "gb-budget.2", "gb-budget.3", "gb-budget.4", "gb-budget.5", "gb-budget.6", "gb-budget.7", "gb-budget.8", "gb-budget.9", "gb-budget.10", "gb-budget.11", "gb-budget.12", "gb-budget.13"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"gb-budget.1", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.2", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.3", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.4", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.5", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.6", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.7", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.8", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.9", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.10", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.11", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.12", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.13", Int64.Type}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"gb-budget.13"})
in
#"Removed Columns"

#"Added Prefix" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Columns", {{"gb-budget.1", each "February " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix", {{"gb-budget.2", each "March " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix2" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix1", {{"gb-budget.3", each "Apr " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix4" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix2", {{"gb-budget.4", each "May " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix5" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix4", {{"gb-budget.5", each "June " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix6" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix5", {{"gb-budget.6", each "July " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix7" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix6", {{"gb-budget.7", each "August " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix8" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix7", {{"gb-budget.8", each "September " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix9" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix8", {{"gb-budget.9", each "October " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix10" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix9", {{"gb-budget.10", each "November " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix11" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix10", {{"gb-budget.11", each "December " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix3" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix11", {{"gb-budget.12", each "January " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Prefix3", {"gaid", "gb-year"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Correct Year", each if Text.Contains([Value],"Jan") then [#"gd-year"]+1 else [#"gd-year"]),
#"Inserted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Correct Month", each Text.BeforeDelimiter([Value], " "), type text),
#"Extracted Text After Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Inserted Text Before Delimiter", {{"Value", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, " "), type text}})
in
#"Extracted Text After Delimiter"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Try this:

(forgot to mention in my previous reply that the code should en in an "in" statement and you have to delete some of your code before copying mine).

let
Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=moveware", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
MOVEWARE_Database = Source{[Name="MOVEWARE",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
PUB_Schema = MOVEWARE_Database{[Name="PUB",Kind="Schema"]}[Data],
gbal_Table = PUB_Schema{[Name="gbal",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(gbal_Table, "gb-budget", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(";", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"gb-budget.1", "gb-budget.2", "gb-budget.3", "gb-budget.4", "gb-budget.5", "gb-budget.6", "gb-budget.7", "gb-budget.8", "gb-budget.9", "gb-budget.10", "gb-budget.11", "gb-budget.12", "gb-budget.13"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"gb-budget.1", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.2", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.3", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.4", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.5", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.6", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.7", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.8", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.9", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.10", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.11", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.12", Int64.Type}, {"gb-budget.13", Int64.Type}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"gb-budget.13"}),
#"Added Prefix" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Columns", {{"gb-budget.1", each "February " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix", {{"gb-budget.2", each "March " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix2" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix1", {{"gb-budget.3", each "Apr " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix4" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix2", {{"gb-budget.4", each "May " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix5" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix4", {{"gb-budget.5", each "June " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix6" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix5", {{"gb-budget.6", each "July " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix7" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix6", {{"gb-budget.7", each "August " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix8" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix7", {{"gb-budget.8", each "September " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix9" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix8", {{"gb-budget.9", each "October " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix10" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix9", {{"gb-budget.10", each "November " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix11" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix10", {{"gb-budget.11", each "December " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Added Prefix3" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Prefix11", {{"gb-budget.12", each "January " & Text.From(_, "fi-FI"), type text}}),
#"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Prefix3", {"gaid", "gb-year"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Correct Year", each if Text.Contains([Value],"Jan") then [#"gd-year"]+1 else [#"gd-year"]),
in
#"Extracted Text After Delimiter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah ok, sorry hadn't realise I deleted some code. did get a new error with yours though. when I clicked show error irt highlight the bottom line

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

You're missing a " at the end 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.