Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Vallirajap
Resolver III
Resolver III

Split Query difference in PowerBI

Hi All,

Recently, I faced one issue when I had one query that contained the maximum amount of data in a PowerBI report. It reduced the performance.

So I decided to split the query, load all the tables related to the query, and make relationships as they are in the query. Suddenly, the file size is increasing three times more than the old file. but the row and column counts are the same.

I am confused by the above behavior. What is the mistake I made in the above scenario?

Anyone who knows, please tell.

Your reply will be accepted. 

Thanks in advance..!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Arul
Super User
Super User

@Vallirajap ,

When you split the query and load all related tables separately, Power BI creates a data model that includes all the tables and their relationships. If your original query contained many related tables and relationships, loading them separately might result in a larger data model due to the duplication of metadata, indexes, and other internal structures required to manage relationships.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Arul
Super User
Super User

@Vallirajap ,

When you split the query and load all related tables separately, Power BI creates a data model that includes all the tables and their relationships. If your original query contained many related tables and relationships, loading them separately might result in a larger data model due to the duplication of metadata, indexes, and other internal structures required to manage relationships.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.