Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Specific Table via ODBC not getting loaded in PBI Desktop

Hi, I have a table in my postgres DB which I connect from PBI Desktop via ODBC connection. It has merely 80 records in it but it just doesn't get loaded into my desktop. Whenever I select that table from Get Data, Preview doesn't come. If I hit Transform Data, it will get stuck/hanged and the data just want show up.

I have loaded many other tables with thousands of rows from the same DB via ODBC and it just works fine. Table's DDL also looks normal to me. Below are the strange things I observed.

1. If I create a copy of that table then the new table gets loaded successfully (This means there is no issue with the data underlying). Loading the copy table is not a permanent solution.  

2. Tried connecting to that table via direct postgres Db connection from Get Data, and it gets loaded successfully !! (This means there is no issue with the DB) 

3. When Transforming that table before importing didn't work, I directly loaded that table, but in the Power Query, a Question Mark symbol appears on that table and data won't show up.

I can't go with direct Postgres connection as I have my gateway setup with ODBC connection only. Postgres Gateway setup didn't work for us. Can someone please help me here, I am stuck with this from 2 days. @GilbertQ 

3 REPLIES 3
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Could you please show us your error message?

Best Regards

Allan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allan 

It doesn't give any error message. Desktop just hangs after 10 mins and eventually I have to terminate it. @v-alq-msft 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, may be best as a support issue. You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.