Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jcastr02
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Sorting by Index

I am trying to sort the comments in the column Training Recieved Explanation by the completion date, when I tried that it gave me error message below.  I then tried to add a index column, and when I try to sort by that, I get same error message.  I added my BI file for help.  Please see table '30 Day New Hire Survey'   I've also looked at how data is set up, I have comments as text and col index as a whole number , please help.  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ava_12t7CNJtkEcQHD-Ralk-Qgjf?e=mg8hYy Index Sorting.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I see, didnt realize that there would be the same date values aswell ofcourse. I've taken a look at your PBI file and i would suggest creating a new table from the one used with only the Comments and date and/or index. And then filter out the Blanks. 

BTW. The CTRL+Click on buttons is only in the desktop version. When published to service you no longer need to use CTRL. 🙂

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EricHulshof
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You get that error because there are multiple empty rows on explanation. Why dont you just sort on completion time?

Quality over Quantity

@EricHulshof  I tried to sort the comments by Completion Time -    On the visual I have a matrix box with all the comments and I'd like to sort from newest to oldest, but when I try to sort the column, I get the same error message

I see, didnt realize that there would be the same date values aswell ofcourse. I've taken a look at your PBI file and i would suggest creating a new table from the one used with only the Comments and date and/or index. And then filter out the Blanks. 

BTW. The CTRL+Click on buttons is only in the desktop version. When published to service you no longer need to use CTRL. 🙂

Quality over Quantity

Thank you SO much this worked!!! and thank you for the recommendations on the buttons!! 🙂 @EricHulshof 

@EricHulshof   It looks like some of my tables worked, but others didn't when I followed process.  See 30 day tab - ones with red background on comments field, those worked.  one with purple background is still giving me error even after filtering out blanks.  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ava_12t7CNJtkEcQHD-Ralk-Qgjf 

That could be because there are still duplicate values. You could also delete the duplicate values, but this will also result in a loss of data and you need to be aware of that.

Quality over Quantity

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.