Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Sort table by date

Hi,

I am using Power Bi for my company, and have to create dashbord with several table sorted by date,

I got a date picker table and some other tables. And on these tables I would like to sort all my datas by date (ascending). For that I added a column date and sort the table by this column. But the problem is that I have ta add the date on all my tables, and it's not really usefull and would like to delete this column (but if I do that my table are not sort by date anymore). 

So my question is : Is-it possible to sort my table day the ascending date, even if I don't add this column in my tables ? 

Thanks for your help,

Valentin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Sort table by date

So to help people who got the same problem, the best way to resolve it at the moment is to place the column on the right of the board, go to the focus mode and hide it on the left

On this way my table's tab looks like that :

Capture d’écran 2016-09-30 à 14.49.23.png

So Date is hiden, (you just see a small part of the tab)

It's not perfect, but I don't have any idea to do better...

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Sort table by date

Hi,

I am using Power Bi for my company, and have to create dashbord with several table sorted by date,

I got a date picker table and some other tables. And on these tables I would like to sort all my datas by date (ascending). For that I added a column date and sort the table by this column. But the problem is that I have ta add the date on all my tables, and it's not really usefull and would like to delete this column (but if I do that my table are not sort by date anymore). 

So my question is : Is-it possible to sort my table day the ascending date, even if I don't add this column in my tables ? 

Thanks for your help,

Valentin

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes but you can only sort the individual visual and not the entire dataset. 

To do so, follow this steps,

1. Select the ellipses (...) in your visual and choose Sort by > Dates.

2. If necessary, select the sort icon  to change to Descending or Reverse for Ascending.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for your answer, 

Ok but when I select the ellipses in my visual, I don't have the possibility to choose Sort By > Dates.

Like you can see on one of my table, when I am selecting the elipse, I can only choose : Export Data or Remove.

So I can't do your solution, 

To remind I want to have the table, sorted like on the screen shot but i don't want to keep the column "Day". But if I delete it, it's gonna be sorted by the second column "CPC"

Capture d’écran 2016-09-29 à 12.21.59.png

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

As you have shown in the screenshot, you can not sort this table by dates without adding the date column in your table or in other words, you have to have a date column in your table to sort your data by dates.

Hope this has clarified your understanding.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

So, in theory you might be able to pull it off by setting the "Sort By Column" for one of your other columns to your Date field. Sort By is in the Modeling section of the ribbon.

---------------------------------------

Putting square pegs in round holes since 1972.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

You might be able to go into your data model and choose the Modeling tab and then set the "Sort By Column" for one of your other columns to be the Date column.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for your help, but I am not able to do this, like you can see on the following screenshot 

Capture d’écran 2016-09-29 à 14.51.49.png

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

You need to go into your data model (middle icon on left) and then select your table and then select your column and then Sort By Column should activate.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Yes, I also did this, but even like that when I delete the column "date" , the table is shorting by the "cost"

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors