Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ArzanP
Regular Visitor

Slicer to control what columns a measure calculated against

I have an interesting problem statement.

I'm making somethig as a project that relates to NBA stats. Basically I would like to compare TWO team playing against each other against a few key measures. However, those measures relate to periods of each game (where i have values stored in columns) . For simplicity.

Columns look like

Team - Q1 Score - Q2 Score - Q3 Score - 1H Score - 2H Score - FullGame Score

I want to use two slicers, one to select the home and away team and then one to select the period (1Q-4Q, 1st Half or 2Nd Half or Full Game). Based on user selection in the SLICER, i want the measures to change which column they are referncing. For exampe

Score For: =average(Q1ScoreFor)

Score Against: = average(Q1ScoreAgainst)

If the user selects 2nd quarter, I want that (Q1ScoreFor and Q1ScoreAgainst) to change to  (Q2ScoreFor and Q2ScoreAgainst).

Any thoughts on whether this is possible?

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ArzanP,

In this scenario, I would suggest unpivot the Q1 Score - Q2 Score - Q3 Score - 1H Score - 2H Score - FullGame Score columns first. After unpivoting, the new table should be like below.

Team  Attribute Value
  Q1 Score  
  Q2 Score  
  Q3 Score  
  1H Score  
  2H Score  
  FullGame Score  

Then should be able to simply use the Attribute column as Slicer, and your measure will be filtered without any change. 

In addition, for more details about how to use Unpivot Columns option in Power BI, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.