Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nagaraj
Post Patron
Post Patron

Single datamodel for all reports

Hi,

We have a report with import model and have a size 400 MB. For testing purpose we have created 3 copies of the same report to show showcase differnt visuals. Hence the total sixe is 1200 MB on the Service and based on the workspace that we have Max 3 GB is allowed. 

So checking how to point the 2 and 3 reports to point to the dataset1.

How can i change now the other reports to point to the first dataset. 

I have check GET DATASET option but looks like that works only during development.

Now as already my development is completed not sure how i can make this work.

Regards

Nagaraj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nagaraj well if you have a lot of bookmarks then you can try this hack, but not guarantee it will work, make a copy of your report on which you will work.

- open file in pbix

- delete all the tables from the report, and of course, everything will break

- now get data, choose power bi dataset

- connect to your power bi dataset and if the model is identical everything will lit up and will work 

Let me know how it goes?

PS - Delete all table steps is really important.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@nagaraj you should use your Power BI dataset as a source to visualize the data. This way each report will have only visualization and not the full dataset. 

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

HI @parry2k

Thanks for the update.

Now if want to create the second report with the Power BI Dataset, what is the process.

Do i need to create all Visuals again ? or is there any simplified process to change the dataset in the 2nd report with out gettting visuals affected.

REgards

Nagaraj

@nagaraj there are ways you can change the dataset to Power BI dataset but rather doing this hack, I would recommend, create a new report, connect to power bi dataset and just copy and paste the visual from existing reports. All visuals should work in the new report because dataset is identical.

@parry2k 

Thanks, let me try.

Have lot of bookmarks inside those reports, i think i new do recreate those..

REgards
Nagaraj

@nagaraj ,

Yes, you have to just rework on your bookmark.

As @parry2k said , You can copy paste the visual from one report to another only rework needs on Bookmark.

And get the data from Power BI Dataset as per below pic.

Capture.PNG

I would really appreciate your THUMBS UP/KUDOS.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

@nagaraj well if you have a lot of bookmarks then you can try this hack, but not guarantee it will work, make a copy of your report on which you will work.

- open file in pbix

- delete all the tables from the report, and of course, everything will break

- now get data, choose power bi dataset

- connect to your power bi dataset and if the model is identical everything will lit up and will work 

Let me know how it goes?

PS - Delete all table steps is really important.

@parry2k 

Just tried the same before i receive your message and it worked.

Able to recreate the report with in minutes. 🙂

Thanks for your help.

Regards

nagaraj

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.