cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristianTD
Frequent Visitor

Show only data from the latest date

Dear all,

I have a very basic question. I constantly struggle with showing only the data with the newest date. What is the easiest way to get a visual only to show data from the most recent date.

As I see it there are multiple ways – a measure, filter(although this does not work for me), row count in the source.

I have a simple example – data set:

Date                  |type        |value|

20-06-2018          A             20

20-06-2018          B             40

19-06-2018          A             21

19-06-2018          B             39

And my table visual should then only show:

Date                 |type         |value|

20-06-2018          A             20

20-06-2018          B             40

Many thanks

\Chr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ChristianTD,

Seems date type values don't have a "TOP" filter type. I would suggest you try the measure below and add it to the "Visual Level filter". Don't need to add it to any visual. Then filter the filter as "1". Please give it a try.

Measure =
VAR LatestDate =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table1'[Date] ), ALL ( 'table1' ) )
RETURN
    IF ( MIN ( 'Table1'[Date] ) = LatestDate, 1, 0 )

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Phil_Seamark
Microsoft
Microsoft

One way is to add this calculated column to your table, which returns a 1 or 0 for latest/not latest which you can use as a filter

Is Latest Row Filter = 
VAR LatestDate = MAXX(FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Type] = EARLIER('Table1'[Type])),'Table1'[Date])
RETURN IF('Table1'[Date]=LatestDate,1,0)

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked for me thanks:)

Hi Phil,

When i try to enter the function you suggested, i am getting "Token eof expected" error, cant figure out why? Could you help Please.

Thanks.

You would then apply a filter where this column is = 1, wouldn't you have to display this column in order for it to work?

would this be updated every time I do a refresh of data ?

Correct. Just add it as a filter on your visual ser to 1

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I would like not to show the new column.

I also tried with a measure Latest = LOOKUPVALUE(Table[Date];Table[Date];MAX(Table[Date])) and then adding my date to the filter and add top 1 by Latest.

Alternatively wouldn't just a simple filter work.. date top 1 by date?

Hi @ChristianTD,

Seems date type values don't have a "TOP" filter type. I would suggest you try the measure below and add it to the "Visual Level filter". Don't need to add it to any visual. Then filter the filter as "1". Please give it a try.

Measure =
VAR LatestDate =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table1'[Date] ), ALL ( 'table1' ) )
RETURN
    IF ( MIN ( 'Table1'[Date] ) = LatestDate, 1, 0 )

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

hi @v-jiascu-msft 

i had a situation, how one can get last row data of every year to compare / calculate difference?

Sample Data:

Country Name  Date         Price
------------  -----------  ------
Argentina     3/1/2015     3.40
Argentina     6/28/2015    3.46
Argentina     3/1/2016     3.50
Argentina     6/28/2016    3.51
Argentina     4/1/2017     3.60
Argentina     8/29/2017    3.66
Argentina     5/1/2018     3.70
Argentina     8/30/2018    3.73

Brazil        3/1/2015     2.23
Brazil        6/28/2015    2.30
Brazil        3/1/2016     2.38
Brazil        6/28/2016    2.44
Brazil        2/8/2017     2.50
Brazil        7/31/2017    2.59
Brazil        3/13/2018    2.70
Brazil        7/22/2018    2.77

Output on Visual:

Country Name   Date        Price   Difference
------------   ---------   -----   ----------
Argentina      6/28/2015    3.46
Argentina      6/28/2016    3.51         0.05
Argentina      7/31/2017    3.66         0.15
Argentina      7/22/2018    3.73         0.07

Brazil         6/28/2015    2.30
Brazil         6/28/2016    2.44         0.14
Brazil         7/31/2017    2.61         0.17
Brazil         7/22/2018    2.77         0.16

please help, how i can achieve this as most of the solutions are accessing Last Most when searched here and on google.

regards

I used this same measure and I applied this on visual level filter and filtered as "1", it seems to be giving me min and max date but my other visuals are not reflecting according to date. I am very new to DAX and I dont know what I need to provide after filtered to "1" ? the filter pan has "And" "Or" selection and I don't know what condition I need to provide. Is that something affecting to my visuals and they are not updating? Please help me how can I resolve this.

In the accepted solution why does this work with either MIN or MAX in the IF logic . It is making my brain swim

Thank you so much. 
But, can we filter all visuals for the latest?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft  Hi is there a way to do this in edit query? so that when my data is refreshed, it is much faster..

Hi @Anonymous 

A sample PowerQuery/M (from Query Editor) to get only latest records as below. To reduce confusion between various reserved words, I have added "Col" to all column names:

let
Source = Table1,
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"DateCol"}, {{"MaxDateCol", each List.Max([DateCol]), type date}}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Grouped Rows", {"DateCol"}, Table1, {"DateCol"}, "Table1", JoinKind.Inner),
#"Expanded Table1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table1",
{ "TypeCol", "ValueCol"},
{ "Table1.TypeCol", "Table1.ValueCol" }
)
in
#"Expanded Table1"

How to load table data by Max date by default and will changes accordingly by user's date selection

I have a table with load date and the requirement is to load data by max load date when it will load for the first time, but there is also a Filter drop down with load date and when the user will select another date , the table will load with that date.

TO achieve this I have used below measure :

Measure 2 =
var vMaxLoadDate = CALCULATE ( MAX ( EDG_COUNT_STATUS[Date] ), ALL ( 'EDG_COUNT_STATUS' ) )
return
IF(MIN(EDG_COUNT_STATUS[Date]) = vMaxLoadDate,1,0)

and set it as filter in visual filter level and set the value to it as 1. But it always load data with latest date, but when I am going to select another date from filter dropdown it does not chnage the dates in the table.

But my requirement is to load table with selected date as well as by Max load by default.

Capture.jpg

How can i achive this? Below is the screen shot for reference:

So by default it is loaded with 03/15/2020 which is max load date, but when ever I am going to select another date from filter values, it does load with that date.

Hi@v-jiascu-msft
Can we apply same senario for direct quirey mode. Because am a able to get such DAX like var in direct quirey mode.
Thank you

This is great, thank you much! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

And if he'd sorted desc by date and remove duplicates for ID&Date? Assuming PBI takes first occurred and drops the rest, wouldn't that be better for more ID's?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors