Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tek01
Helper I
Helper I

Show last Fiscal Year Spend to Date if Current Fiscal is Blank

I have below measure for Fiscal Year Spend to Date, this measure is to show current fiscal year and since I am in the new fiscal year it is showing blank() on my card visual.

Fiscal Year Spend to Date = 
Var LatestFY = Maxx(Filter('Financial Calendar', 'Financial Calendar'[Calendar Date]<=Today() ), [Financial Year])
Return Calculate([Spend], All('Financial Calendar'),'Financial Calendar'[Financial Year]=LatestFY)

How can i rewrite this measure to show last fiscal year if Current fisal year is blank?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tek01 ,

Your requirement is to display the expenditures of the previous fiscal year when the current fiscal year data is unavailable or appears blank. Is my understanding correct?

Please try this measure:

VAR LatestFY = MAXX(FILTER('Financial Calendar', 'Financial Calendar'[Calendar Date] <= TODAY()), [Financial Year])
VAR CurrentFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Financial Year] = LatestFY)
VAR PreviousFY = LatestFY - 1
VAR PreviousFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Financial Year] = PreviousFY)
RETURN IF(ISBLANK(CurrentFYSpend), PreviousFYSpend, CurrentFYSpend)

I modified this measure is syntax based on what you provided.

During actual testing, I created the following sample data:

vhuijieymsft_0-1713333716454.png

Created a calculated column to extract the year of the date column:

Year = YEAR('Financial Calendar'[Date])

Created a measure to calculate fiscal year expenditures:

Spend = SUM('Financial Calendar'[Sale])

Finally, a measure was created to meet the requirements:

VAR LatestFY = MAXX(FILTER('Financial Calendar', 'Financial Calendar'[Date] <= TODAY()), [Year])
VAR CurrentFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Year] = LatestFY)
VAR PreviousFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Year] = PreviousFY)

The final visual effect is shown below:

vhuijieymsft_1-1713333716456.png

pbix file is attached.

Please adjust according to your actual field information and measure name.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with sample data for testing, please remove any sensitive data in advance.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tek01 ,

Your requirement is to display the expenditures of the previous fiscal year when the current fiscal year data is unavailable or appears blank. Is my understanding correct?

Please try this measure:

VAR LatestFY = MAXX(FILTER('Financial Calendar', 'Financial Calendar'[Calendar Date] <= TODAY()), [Financial Year])
VAR CurrentFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Financial Year] = LatestFY)
VAR PreviousFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Financial Year] = PreviousFY)

I modified this measure is syntax based on what you provided.

During actual testing, I created the following sample data:

vhuijieymsft_0-1713333716454.png

Created a calculated column to extract the year of the date column:

Year = YEAR('Financial Calendar'[Date])

Created a measure to calculate fiscal year expenditures:

Spend = SUM('Financial Calendar'[Sale])

Finally, a measure was created to meet the requirements:

VAR LatestFY = MAXX(FILTER('Financial Calendar', 'Financial Calendar'[Date] <= TODAY()), [Year])
VAR CurrentFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Year] = LatestFY)
VAR PreviousFYSpend = CALCULATE([Spend], ALL('Financial Calendar'), 'Financial Calendar'[Year] = PreviousFY)

The final visual effect is shown below:

vhuijieymsft_1-1713333716456.png

pbix file is attached.

Please adjust according to your actual field information and measure name.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with sample data for testing, please remove any sensitive data in advance.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.