Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

njkbr
Frequent Visitor

Show data from two tables related by many-to-many

Hi!

I am new to PBI and I have a hard time understanding if I can achieve what I want with PBI.

I have a set of data and know it is not the best structure for PBI as I do not have facts and dimensions.

I have several issues with ambiguity, but here is another issue with several many-to-many connections:

PBI connections issue (3).png

I can use one of Terms in my output, but I get an error if I try to show both Terms at once.

I found some similar issues on this Forum and they have solutions. However, the proposed solutions that I understand are not applicable in my case. And those that may be the solution for me - I do not understand fully. 

As I did not find an example with the same structure - I would be very thankful for some advice and help!

8 REPLIES 8
JGroothedde
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi @njkbr ,

Have you tried setting the relationships to many-to-many and both directions instead of single?

JGroothedde_0-1706784299254.png

JGroothedde_1-1706784314633.png

JGroothedde_2-1706784704533.png

Honestly i think it might be better to take this opportunity to clean up your model and move to more of a star schema instead of going for many-to-many bi-directional relationships, since they will give you unexpected results in a lot of calculations. 

Hi @JGroothedde,

I have tried that, but it did not help:

image (2).png

Was that the only thing you did?

Based on your result, can it be the case that each of your 'main_id' has only one correspondence in both 'term1_main_link' and 'term2_main_link'?

And thanks for your advice, I also have several cases of ambiguity in connections like this one:

PBI ambiguity issue.png

And I have more with a bigger scale (5-6 tables make a closed round). I suppose it will be faster and easier to create a star schema, but for now, the task is to understand what can be done with the current schema.

Appreciate your help and advice!

Ah that complicates the issue. Is it possible for you to share your model so we can take a look in the model itself? 

Hi @JGroothedde, I got an approval to share it like this:

The whole model:

image.png

Here you can see the case with the Terms I asked originally:

image (2).png

And several ambiguities:

image (3).png

image (1).png

image (4).png

I understand PBI is not designed to work with relational schema, but we want to make sure there are no workarounds as it might be easier than migration and maintenance of a star schema.

Would appreciate your expertise, thanks in advance!

Thanks for sharing @njkbr ! I will take some time later today to check this out and see if i can find a solution for you! 

Hey @JGroothedde,

Hope you're doing well! Just checking in to see if you had a chance to check the model. No worries if you're swamped, just thought I'd ask. Thanks a bunch!

Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@njkbr 

can you show the model in your power bi , how it looks like ? 

best regards

Hi @Daniel29195, sure.

Model view tab:

image.png

And Report view tab:
image (1).png

When I show only one of the term names - everything is fine.  When I want to show both - I get an error because Term1 and Term2 tables are not connected.

As I understand - possible solution will be to create a new table with all possible combinations, but it is very inefficient.

Here I could see an issue that might be relevant, but I lack understanding how to build a View if I drop a connection.

Also here are some other topics I found most related, if it can be of any help for you:

Unable to show data from related tables at the same time - solution is not applicable for me with link tables;

Returning value from inactive related table - this topic might be helpful, but I lack understanding the solution. I suppose writing some custom queries might solve the issue, in such case I will go and read more about measures, crossfilters and how to use all of that in PBI 🙂

Please, tell me if you need any additional info. And many thanks for such a quick response!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.