Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GarryPope
Advocate I
Advocate I

Show Opposite to Cumulative VIsual

Hello Power BI Community,

I hope you can help please.

I'm new to Power BI so not sure I'm even asking the question correctly or using the right lingo, so apologies in advance. 

I have a visual where I add monthly values to a column, let's call it mycolumnname.

So the values I add are April = 10, May = 5, June = 5, July = 5 etc. 

I have a line chart showing this trend.

I also have a cumulative measure that shows the total numbers so April = 10, May = 15, June = 20, July = 25.

I used the below formula:

Cumulative Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('mytablename'[mycolumnname]) - , filter(ALLSELECTED('mytablename'),'mytablename'[mydatecolumnname]<=max('mytablename'[mydatecolumnname])))

This works perfect... But now for another visual I want to do the opposite of the formula above. I think opposite is the correct word. 

So in mycolumnname I'm now going to have the cumulative values rather than the monthly values, and I want to work out in my measure what each month value is.

The data I will add in mycolumnname is April = 10, May = 15, June = 20, July = 25.

My opposite cumulative measure will work out the monthly change between this month and last month from the values above, so April = 10, May = 5, June = 5, July = 5.

Hope that makes sense? Sorry if it's confusing, but as I said, I don't know the lingo so well. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks very much,

Garry

6 REPLIES 6
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Picture1.png

Link to the pbix file 

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hello @Jihwan_Kim,

Thanks for the reply. This looks like exactly what I want, unfortunately my company won't let me download this file. Could you share the measure formula please here?

Thanks very much,

Garry 

Qty Cumulate Measure : =
VAR _maxmonthnumber =
CALCULATE ( MAX ( Months[Month number] ), ALL () )
RETURN
IF (
HASONEVALUE ( Months[Month] ),
SUM ( Sales[Qty Cumulate] ),
CALCULATE (
SUM ( Sales[Qty Cumulate] ),
FILTER ( ALL ( Months ), Months[Month number] = _maxmonthnumber )
)
)

Qty Monthly Measure : =
VAR _startingperiod =
CALCULATE ( MIN ( Months[Month number] ), ALL () )
VAR _endingperiod =
CALCULATE ( MAX ( Months[Month number] ), ALL () )
VAR _previousmonth =
MAX ( Months[Month number] ) - 1
VAR _previousmonthqtycumulate =
CALCULATE (
[Qty Cumulate Measure :],
FILTER ( ALL ( Months ), Months[Month number] = _previousmonth )
)
RETURN
IF (
MAX ( Months[Month number] ) = _startingperiod,
IF (
HASONEVALUE ( Months[Month] ),
[Qty Cumulate Measure :] - _previousmonthqtycumulate,
CALCULATE (
FILTER ( ALL ( Months ), Months[Month number] = _endingperiod )
)
)
)

Picture1.png

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hello @Jihwan_Kim,

Thanks so much for sending that. I don't doubt it's correct, but I was unable to format it to my table and columns, so was unable to use it. Sorry. A colleague provided something that works for me.

Cumulative difference =

sum(mytablename[mycolumnname])-CALCULATE(SUM(mytablename[mycolumnname]),PREVIOUSMONTH(mytablename[mycolumndate]))

This works prefectly, but shows a blank value for July whilst we are in July, so I added a filter to hide blanks. Probably not the most elegant way to do it, but it did the trick.

I appreciate your help. Thanks so much. 

Garry

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@GarryPope , Opposite mean total in April and then reduce?

example measure

Cumulative Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('mytablename'[mycolumnname]) - , filter(ALLSELECTED('mytablename'),'mytablename'[mydatecolumnname]>=min('mytablename'[mydatecolumnname])))

Hello @amitchandak,

Thanks so much for the speedy reply.

Sorry for confusing you, I'm confusing myself.

It's not so much reduce as "Give me the difference between the April value: 10 and the May value; 15, which is 5.

So 5 that's the difference between April and May.

I knew the total in April 10 and now I know the total in May 15, so my data has increased by 5 between April and May.

I tried your formula, thanks for sharing, but it doesn't like the comma between the - and filter, see highlighted in red below:

Cumulative Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('mytablename'[mycolumnname]) - , filter(ALLSELECTED('mytablename'),'mytablename'[mydatecolumnname]>=min('mytablename'[mydatecolumnname])))

The error is Unexpected expression ','.

Thanks very much,

Garry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.