Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kmaurer
Regular Visitor

Show Discrete events over Time Visual

I'm having trouble finding a visual to properly portray a timeline visual that shows discrete events along that timeline.  I've tried some of the custom visuals that don't quite work, and also tried variants of scatter plots which sort of work, but aren't able to really show the axis in the format that I need.

Generally I need this as an output but can't figure out a way to do it.  Any advice?

8wz53xB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

use a line chart visual, minus the line.  Use Small multiples for your sections.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello kmaurer/lbendlin,

I also have a similar requirement.

in the given example,where the canvas shows triangles/dots etc,are these some aggregated values.or just some numerical values w-o any sort of aggregation applied.

Regards

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Make sure that the axis you are using is in date format and that the X axis is set to continuous in "Format" option.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

use a line chart visual, minus the line.  Use Small multiples for your sections.

This is working a bit...but how do I get rid of the line?  And what should I be using for the Y axis "value."  Here's how it's looking now:

Capture.PNG

change the line color to transparent

Thanks, got it.  I guess my only issue now is what to use for "value."  Ideally I'd be able to visualize this as a scatter plot but it does not work if I'm using Date as the x axis for categorical data.

Value will have to be a calculation that adds the Y axis offset as needed. Or use Small Multiples as you already do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.