Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rrhascall
Helper II
Helper II

Shared location install

Can desktop version be installed on a server to be shared by muliple users?  Or, does each user need their own local copy?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rrhascall 

Of course. You can install Power BI Desktop on your shared server computer. For example, if your server is installed on Windows, you can download the corresponding version of Power BI Desktop to install it. After that, you just need to assign your shared computer to multiple users. For example, RDS, AVD

Additionally, you might consider using Power BI Report Server, which will allow multiple users to create reports, etc. You can learn about Power BI Report Server by clicking the link below.

What is Power BI Report Server? - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vjianpengmsft_0-1715577049818.png

You can also refer to the following:

Solved: Installing Power BI desktop on server for multiple... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Power BI: Installing Report Server for Multiple Users over LAN and Internet, using Local & Public IP...

Ways to Install Power BI Desktop with Pros and Con... - Microsoft Fabric Community

vjianpengmsft_1-1715577253444.png

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

@rrhascall 

I imagine each needs their own copy.  When you install executable files there are various files and registry settings that are specific to the user and/or install location.

But I've never tried it.

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.