Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
843 REPLIES 843

as I've noted before though, that's false optimism. No one builds and maintains parallel solutions. "Default" = "Mandatory" sooner or later.

sadly, you are right. one a new manager will say "this is technical debt" only 30% of users have this turned on, depreciate it. the fact that 80% of the work is being done by that 30% will be irrelevant 😞

I just downloaded the latest version and though it is better, I still HATE it.

If you force me to relearn things, then I may as well learn a different product!
I'm already in a debate with others about which platform to use, and if the advantage of already knowing MS/PBI is undermined, then there goes my argument for sticking with it.  If you mandate the use of On Object, I will be extremely pissed and will likely no longer advocate against switching platforms. It is not just this change, but what else am I going to have to relearn in the future??

If you were just adding options, that's fine, but stop taking things away and forcing us to relearn things we already know.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I think this really, really sucks. And what bothers me the most is the arrogance of MS to be ignoring the users that are saying that we do NOT want this and saying that it will become mandated/default.

Additionally, I think this was introduced into public preview waaay prematurely. End user feedback is one thing, although the feedback doesn't seem to mean much to MS. But I'm not your QC team. I have better things to do then waste my team hunting around trying to figure out how to do things I already used to know, especially when there were glaringly obvious deficiencies that should have been addressed before this was ever put out to the public. If this version were the first preview, maybe end users wouldn't be so oppossed to it. But it isn't. And I know I speak for many others when I say that we are.

I completely agree. Especially: we are the opinion maker, and decision makers often (even most time) follow our opinion. And this feature and especially the communication from MS (not listening us, and just broadcasting: this is the future, we don't care about your opinion) is destroying a lot of trust. I think, it is a mega communication disaster. 

It took a long time before I became a "Power BI advocate". My opinion really counts. And I am also very effective in avoiding products. MS is playing a risky game with us.

And it's not only about the unusable GUI "improvements". For me the most important feature of Power BI is the modeling. If the GUI can't be promoted by me, then I can't use the Tabular engine build into Power BI. But if Microsoft promotes ways from SSAS into Power BI Services, then how I can use this technology, if the GUI can't be used anymore? Can I still trust MS and still use this technology? I use MS since the very beginning, because I trusted.

I lost a lot of trust when I saw how quickly and easily Microsoft betrayed entire markets, like Russia. And I ask myself, are the old Power BI veterans being betrayed here?

There's every point. In 2018, I deeply analyzed two BIs, Tableau and Power BI, at the time Tableau was much better than Power BI, but due to the monthly releases of new versions implementing improvements, I decided on Power BI, today it has evolved a lot and is already the leader, but he is abusing us developers, in my case perhaps I will review my preference.

If this happens, it will be a flood of criticism and disappointment and will completely lose the trust of the developers.

I saw that comment earlier this week. But I can't access comments now whether I'm logged in or not. Just says "Restricted Mode has hidden comments for this video.".

I successfully added some comments a minute ago. 
Maybe they have you on a black list? surely not?  🤔

I thought maybe too, but I don't see comments even if I'm not logged in. Don't know. 

wierd..... 🤷‍♂️

SteveCnz
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had to turn this off also.    I don't usually comment on these forums but the implementation of OOI is really bad.  

There are some items that should be edited on-object such as the title, axis labels, data labels etc but that is about all.  The rest is fine in the panes.    The dimensions and measure do not need to be edited on-object (they're not in Excel).  Why would the formatting pane act differently to the other panes?   All the panes should be consistent.  The formatting pane should not pop up just when a visual is selected.  Sigh.    

I'd recommended starting again using the existing experience as a base and working from this.  

Have to say the same; I normally work in this mode for other things, but the PBI implementation is far too awkward and broken (e.g. no field reordering)

I fully agree. But it seems like they don't want to improve the existing one and insist on this bad interface.

CBergmannCanada

I like the idea of this.  I had to turn it off, as I couldn't change the order of columns in my table visualization.

MamaOf2QTs
Helper I
Helper I

This is the first time I've turned off a feature in Preview.  
1) Shortly after turning it on, my report started crashing with the Web2 error.

2) When I tried to test RLS it didn't work; I later realized it was working but was no soooo slow refreshing the visuals it appeared to not be working.  I wasted 30 minutes troubleshooting...

3) I'm adding a button, just an up arrow, I want it to be yellow.  The format menu is gone.  Why does it keep closing on itself. I want it open all the time. I don't want to have to reopen the format pane constantly.

4) The pane to add fields to a chart is tiny (granted I like to work on my small portable laptop; I have monitors I can plug into but I prefer being mobile as I have kids and work at home on the weekends).  The tiny list of fields is one of the things I hate about Domo.  You're going the wrong way with this feature...

For these and other reasons, despite trying to use the new resource, I waste too much time, and I don't have time to waste. So after a few hours to analyze the "news" I return to the standard, which is much better and more intuitive.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

ok got two usability issues that im finding annoying and not sure if im missing something.

1. i need to go to view then select element each time i close it, its a natural habit to close but close should be minimize, not shut down completely, isn't there just a way to miminize from the on object menu, and not shut that element down completely, it doesn't seem intuitive, maybe im not doing it right but having to go to the view menu all the time is annyoying

2. why is it so hard to find  away to pin more than one element open, i literally cannot find the setting to have both for eg setttings and data open at the same time.  sometimes its there othertimes not. I just want to pin certian elements open at the same time, something like pinning it, not trying to work through a myriad of settings that do or dont work same way each time you arrive there.

help

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

I just had a comment removed as spam from a recent YouTube video about on-object interaction. My comment was short, intelligible, and had a link to this forum post. It was in no way trolling or spam. It was in response that the PBI designers "really appreciate the hard truth", and yet the comment was deleted. PBI Team, please don't implement this feature.

Maybe my suggestions here will offer the solutions you are looking for.

I'm finding this on-object feature more useable now that I'm able to have the panels on the side (like it should be) instead of on the visual (object) I'm wornking on.

gtmoten
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I understand that receiving this withering barrarge of negative feedback leads to shell-shock, but the policy of "radio silence", just sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la" will not change anything. If this feature is based on real-world research and user feedback, please be forthcoming.

If that does not exist, what is the driver behind this determined effort to piss-off your professional userbase? Drive us all to the online environment? There is clearly something bigger at play for MSFT to so willfully disregard and disrespect the userbase. 

We really are going from disappointed to highly irritated with MS's position in relation to its worst new feature to date. The On-Object Interaction feature (preview) should have been left aside a long time ago due to not meeting the basic needs of developers (development agility = simple with just a few clicks).

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.