Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
843 REPLIES 843

Hi Severofm,

You're another one of the community members that I've talked to in the past. Thanks for continuing to try the feature and give feedback. I definitely don't want you to think there is an endless circle. There are a lot of parts to this feature. It's taking time for the incremental releases to add up to the full experience we want you to have.

Didn't mean to leave you looking for Drill-through. I must have missed that previously. We have moved that into page settings. With the Format pane open and no visual selected You can find it here under page information:

EwanT_0-1691808712902.png

Thanks,

Ewan

SwastikS
Regular Visitor

Although UI looks clean, it take quite a few clicks to make a simple column change in visual. I feel this feature should be available with enable/ disable option as it may not work well for everyone.

Hi SwastikS,

Thank you for the feedback. I never want our designs to only be goodlooking. They need to be functional, which is why this is in preview until the full experience is ready for you. As we make more updates to the menus, you should see less and less clicks in your userflow. If you aren't finding that, please come back and give us more feedback. 

Thanks,

Ewan

I absolutely agree!!! For those who like the new features, great! Those like me, who don't like the extra clicks and re-opening panels multiple times, give us an option to disable it. Everybody wins. The developers get to add another change/update to their list of "sucessful" tasks implemented and the users can work as they prefer.

Hi GaryC,

You hit the nail on the head. There is a lot of work with this feature and the incremental releases don't mean that we have forgotten about our users like you. We'll keep releasing more and more of the feature in preview until it is the full experience. Please stay tuned to our upcoming Sept and Oct releases. There will be more menu flexibility. My hope is that will help with the issues you are having. Though if it doesn't please let me know.

Thanks,

Ewan

I really hope this feature is optional, even after it's finalized.

JohnF1966
Advocate V
Advocate V

The July 2023 update is getting closer to being acceptable. One thing that really, really needs to be put back is the chevrons << and >> to expand and collapse the panes. The current method of selecting the dropdown arrow makes this process cumbersome.

Either that or have an option in the 'Customize Pane Switcher' (+) which would allow us to open multiple panes by single clicking on them instead of having to CTRL clicking them.  This would be a slider like the other options in the pane switcher which would say something like "Allow single click to select multiple panes and expand or colapse them once open'

Hi JohnF1966,

I'm glad to see you are still sticking around. This feedback is getting more positive than the last time we spoke. Though positive or negative it is appreciated. We still have more releases to come in preview until this is the full experience we want for y'all. Please stay tuned for the Sept and Oct releases I'm hopeful they will help you with some of the issues you are having, but please let me know if that isn't the case.

Thanks,

Ewan

I agree

hirenkakkad
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Issue 1: I have started using On object interaction. But when I click on add data, I am getting this kind of popup where I am not able to select the first data table as shown below.

hirenkakkad_0-1689411623795.png

Issue 2: Not able to see the drill through option. Please look at below screenshots of both the versions (Prior to On object interaction and post Object interaction).

hirenkakkad_2-1689411984735.png

hirenkakkad_1-1689411792133.png

Thank you

Hiren Kakkad

Stat Modeller

Hi hirenkakkad,

We're working to make the menus easier to use with more options. You could continue to using the menu that comes from the +Add data button, but if you would like to drag and drop like you did previously. You can Ctrl+click the Data icon in the pane switcher. This will open the Data pane with the Build a visual

EwanT_1-1691810573384.png

EwanT_2-1691810604277.png

Drill-through has moved under Page information in the Format pane. You can find it here:

EwanT_0-1691810367990.png

Thanks for trying the preview feature. If you need help or have more feedback to share please let us know.

Thanks,

Ewan

While we appreciate efforts to make the menus easier to access, like others have said, it does feel like more clicks.

I have an idea, what if the search capability was added to the ribbon instead? Constantly having to go to the viz pane and then search has its challenges and involves a lot of clicking which is why some of us doing use another tool out there. I've come to grow accustomed to using the search but wished it was not based on clicking within the format pane.

TheFatherLizard
Regular Visitor

Things feel more hidden, takes more clicks, navigating otions is clunky, and adding data to visuals is much worse.

OswaldoHOM
Advocate I
Advocate I

• What changes would you like to see? I'm not sure if this is the properly solution that we users are looking for, It really looks like an "adapted Excel solution". I think the current solution to change charts' form and populate with data and feeds is good. 
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why? Needed a lot of clicks to change simple things (my hands and fist after start to heart, something that never happened with the current solution), and I find a bug (sudentilly stop to return basics functionalities such as changing the Title and Color) 
  • Any suggestions for additional settings or capabilities? I think someone tried to reduce the complexity creating something more "minimalisty" .

- Too many click to find

- Missing format functions (bugs - I tried to change a card name using the option and the title name disappeared)

- Not very intuitive 

ElenaSSF
Advocate I
Advocate I

I tried it, I hate it.   I need to see the full visualization pane with all fields AND the full data pane with all fields to choose from.   Anything less is kneecapping my work, as a painter I need both the palette (data fields) AND the paintbrush (formatting) to work on the canvas.   So the feature is back off and please NEVER make this mandatory.   

Separately the right click choices at the side of the visual I might well like, and valued it in Excel.  But at the cost of my visualization AND data panes?   No, bleep no, and many cuss words ensue.

JP8991
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unfortunately, I cannot use this feature its a massive step back on the previous visualisation pane navigation format.

It is complicated and takes longer to achieve the same outcome as there are so many clicks and menus to navigate.

Please don't make this a mandatory change!

I wholeheartedly agree.

dscott73
Resolver I
Resolver I

I had to turn this off. Too many clicks to do accomplish what I want.  Need a way to just "pin" the panels, and that method is just turning it off. I wanted to create a drill through, and couldn't figure it out. Searching for PowerBI drill through, guess what I got? 6 years worth of videos and articles that didn't matter because I had this option turned on.

While Converting to PDF, I get some line in the right edge of the cornor, 

where I could be change or other solution?

monika_todor
Advocate II
Advocate II

I find this feature difficult to use as I don't have the possibility to pin the Bookmarks and Selection at the same time (which previously wasn't the case). And that is crucial for me being able to build reports.

@monika_todor @wjkolesar  I just found out that you can right click and expand to an extra pane. So you can open the bookmark en selection pane together. @RosieL  This is hard to find and not intuitive 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.