Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
809 REPLIES 809
gtmoten
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Please give us the option to have the on-visual formatting but retain the formatting, visualisation AND data panes. Whoever scoped this design clearly does not use the product.
While I am at it,
1. why cannot the app remember the width of the the panes? it is painful to keep resizing them.

2. why not make the build pane and fromat panes separate? or at least the option to separate them? We live in a world of ultra-wide screens nowadays 🙂
Cheers!

cm55

What changes would you like to see?

- I liked the Visualization  pane where it was. We build muscle memory of selecting the visual and going back to the panes for everything and now I click on a visual and have to wait for the litle icon to show up. The new in-object pane shows up in different places, if it happens to be in a visual down on the page I have to scroll down - it really does now flow well - not to mention the extra clicks. 
If you turned off the preview switch, why?

- It slowed me down, all reasons above
Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

- Provide the option to have the Visualization pane 

thank you.

Exactly this!
Muscle memory saves tons of time. FIXED location IS VERY IMPORTANT!

tbowman
Advocate I
Advocate I

The number one rule of software design is not to mess with what people know.  Give us the option to still have a visualization pane.  It takes many more clicks now than it used to with the visualization pane, like changing visual types, renaming fields, etc.  The new user interface is not intuitive and needs work.

dbartel
Frequent Visitor

I turned off the The On-Object Interation feature after a few minutes of use.  I hope that we are not forced to use it in the future.

The extra click to get/see the list of fields has no value.  When the build 'menu' pops open and it is near the right hand side of the canvas, it covers up part of the visual that you are trying to modify.  I noticed that the yellow warning triangle that is present when a column is no longer available is not shown in the 'build' panel.

The stacking of the Selection, bookmark, data... panels in the right side nav bar is nice though.  My only thing that I dislike is the build menu and it's placement.

Thank you for the feedback and giving the preview a try. Can you share a screenshot of the first issue of the overlap? We are tracking a bug on the missing error state within the build menu. 

dbartel_0-1679599992950.png

When the visual is right next to the right edge of the canvis, the build a visual moves to the left, covering up part of the visual that you are attempting to change.

roverdover
Frequent Visitor

Loose analogy here:

If the data selection pane is akin to painter's color pallette, there is a reason why the color pallete's design allows for all color choices to be conveniently located and readily accessible.

The On-Object feature feels like we are taking the tubes of paint and putting them in our pocket. You need a different color? Take them out, find your color, put a dab on the canvas and then put them all back in your pocket again.

I tried it for a couple of days and am here typing this because when I changed it back, I noticed the "Share feedback" link. 

HollabackGoat
Advocate I
Advocate I

Please do not force us to use this. 

The last couple of changes to make PowerBI easier have made it progressively take more clicks for things.
To create a date slicer that was a dropdown used to only be three clicks.

1. Add date to page

2. Make visual a slicer

3. Click the ellipsis to change it to a dropdown

You then made it take extra clicks when you moved this functionality over to the visualizion pane.

In this new rendition of on object interaction you have made this same process take six clicks.

1. Add date to visual

2. Change visual type to slicer in object interaction (turn off suggest data type as it is always wrong)

3. Click the paintbrush

4. Click more options

5. Click slicer settings 

6. Under options select dropdown style.

Stop trying to imitate Tableau. Updates to PowerBI UI should reduce number of clicks and simplify items. Not drastically increase and swap where things are ever UI update.

I enabled on-object interaction and had to go back as I cannot find the option to change the aggregation that will be shown in the visualization.

Previously, one had the "show value as" option, but I cannot find it now. Does anyone know where the option went? ... or is it possible that one will be forced to write measure for everything? 

Exactly! We need less clicks, not more!
Also, the advantage of an old pane is that it's in FIXED position.

So in the old experience - my hand muscle memory easily remembers where to click and where to drag and drop.

In the new experience I need to concentrate hard to find that specific object's brush location, it can be anywhere on canvas and navigating there takes time and looses me concentration. 

Please return the old pane experience

Absoutely true. 

I have a dozen PBI reports, each report has a dozen pages, each page has 6+ visuals, each visual has 4+ data fields, imagine how many more clicks I will have to do now...

PBI strengths are its versitility, functionality, connectivity, service, high-power engine, dax language - simple, straightforward, powerful. It'd be great tragedy MS turns this into clustered bloated piece of software all under the false pretense of "making it easier to use". 

Aiyalon
Regular Visitor

I think it's promising but will have to get more used to it. I did notice what seems to be a bug in the combo chart, where I can not individually turn on/off data labels for line and column independently. If I turn off for line or column the data labels turns off completely. 

Balaclavamqn
Advocate I
Advocate I

Turned this preview feature off a few minutes after I turned it on. This has the feel of a feature that was designed by someone who does not use Power BI on the daily. It is counter-productive to 'nest' menus at this deep of level. This feature increased the number of clicks required to do some of the most common tasks. This feature could be okay if shortcut keys were more widely available. Please consider making this feature optional going forward and not a required default. 

fsim
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello RosieL,
I switched back to the clasical mode for these reason.
1) you have to search for the button for each object. it's easier to look at the same place to see what are the data in the visual, than searching for the button and clicking it.
2) I didn't find how to reorganaise fields. (move up and down) drag and drop don't work

3) neither copy paste
4) the suggest format switch cannot be turned off once of all. Sorry but this is useless.
overall, I think that the most ennoying part is the 1). when you are using any software you are used to have functionnalities organised in your "workspace". Moving stuff from one fixed place to a moving one slows down the  working process. 
that's my 0.02€

Thank you for this feedback. We are looking into giving users the ability to attach the build menu as a pane again if you prefer the more static nature as before. 

We're adding a few improvements for #2 here to make drag/drop zones a bit wider so super precision during dragging should not be required, however it should not be completely broken, would love to learn more about the visual type and which field wells you ran into this broken state. You can also right click on a field and use "move to" to swap which field well the field shows up in.

RosieL_2-1679597996043.png

#3, are you saying copy/paste for a visual also stopped working for you? Could you share more details?

#4 you can set the suggestions to be off by default from the options menu if you prefer:

RosieL_1-1679597830982.png

I agree that the copy/paste function doesn't work with this. Using a matrix visual I tried copying a value by right clicking on a cell and no options were given unlike the classic view which gives the expand/collapse etc. 

mark_FC_0-1679627270531.png

Another EDIT: I re-opened Power BI after turning this function off and because I turned off the preview query function, can't remember now what it was called. Every time I add a measure/attribute it still prompts me to refresh the query before loading the new attribute. Hard to decipher how to turn this function off as well. 

Edit: I got the functionality to work by turning off this functionality in preview without rebooting Power BI so I still have the new view with the classic functionality. Obviously this is tedious work just to get it working because I would have to load the preview and close PBI and open again to get the new preview then turn the functionality off again. Then repeat when i close the file as settings would reset.  

twentyninefifty
Frequent Visitor

Love the idea and in-pane editing of things like title. Turning preview pane off again for now. Some immediate things I don't like:

-No vertical/horizontal only resize options?

-Re-ordering data fields requires too much precision, have to get mouse within just a few pixels

-No inserting data fields other than at the end(?)

I would like to see BOTH the visualization pane (as-is) as well as the new one. Together they can be better than individually.

camples79
Frequent Visitor

Its not hard to use but how do I create drill-throughs now? seriously where did the field well go to insert the drill-through field to enable it? 

It's been moved to the page settings, please this section of the blog post

AFERNANDEZLPQ

• What changes would you like to see?
    • Losing the Visualization pane was a downfall to productivity. It is easier for newcomers, but it gets old too fast as it takes a lot more clicks to get to the same place as it was possible before
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
    • It harmed my productivity
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?
    • Keep the visualization pane, both working at the same would be incredibly good

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.