Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DGID
Frequent Visitor

Shape Map Visual Question

Hello, 

I am trying to use a shape map to show the highest sales channel category by order quantity when the location is selected in a slicer. The other visuals I have on the page seem to be working correctly but the shape map is not making sense to me. 

In the first image attached I have selected Billings, Montana which has an Online Order quantity of 118 Units making it the highest Sales Channel for that city. However when just the city is selected in the slicer the shape map shows the Distributor color and amount.

When nothing is selected it 'sort of' works. As shown in the second image Montana is the right color but there are other states/cities that are not.

I have tried creating a DAX formula for a MAXX column but have not had any luck as of yet.

DGID_0-1628878693275.png

DGID_1-1628879086654.png

Please let me know if you need any additional information  from me.

Thank you in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DGID So then how are the Region, State and Location related to the Sales table?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler I pulled the State and Location Name from the Store Locations Table. Region has it's own table. The connection to the Sales from the Store Location table is the Store ID and the Regions Table is connected to the Store Locations Table by State code.

Not sure if it is directly related but there was a region column in the Sales Team Table. I feel that it should be connected to the Regions table but it creates a many to many relationship. I was not sure what would be the best way to create a bridging table to handle that situation so I left it alone.

Below is a screenshot of my Model tab for reference.

DGID_0-1629117572976.png

@DGID So you don't have any states that have multiple sales channels?

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler from what I can see yes, the states for the most part have orders from each of the sales channels. There are very few that do not have at least one for each particular channel category. 

In the two screenshots below I have created a matrix with order qantity and sales channel by state code. The InStore channel and Online channel both share states. 

DGID_0-1629120530839.png

DGID_1-1629120577909.png

@DGID So then what is the "right" color for a state??

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler  I would like for it to show whichever channel has the highest orders for that state. The it seems that the states change colors when they themselves are selected in the splicer; not showing the max either but just the first out of the categories, I think. 

@DGID Yeah, probably not really possible? Not really how that is designed to work.

Latest book!:

Ok @Greg_Deckler thank you for looking into this. I really wonder what is causing it to change color to begin with. For example the distibutor channel is not even represented in this state however when it's selected in the slicer it shows data?

Actually I went to my test matrix and saw that there were 72 orders in that same state for the distributor channel (compared to the much smaller amounts shown by the splicer) so I think somthing is wrong with my setup. Also the In-store amount is showing as 64 on the matrix?

DGID_0-1629123363029.png

DGID_1-1629123493662.png

DGID_2-1629123633096.png

DGID_4-1629124698073.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DGID Not sure this question can be answered with the information provided. The color is coming from the Legend field which is Sales Channel column or measure? Would have to understand the underlying data.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler  Yes you are correct. The color is coming from the Legend field which is currently the Sales Channel, which is a column. I am still pretty new to Power BI so please let me know if you need more background information on the data.

DGID_0-1628884693097.png

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.