Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

systemnova

Setting display folders

Is it possible to set the display folders via DAX or MQuery?
I'm aware of the point & click methods, but was hoping i could build these display folders via a linked table or some other programmatic approach.

Alternatively, i work mostly in R so was hoping to find a way to edit the .pbix file (or the parquet file it ingests) to create the display folders?

I've attempted to use the PBIXR package in R to decompress the raw pbix, and noticed that some of the metadata is editable there, but not sure if things like displayfolders would be accessible via this approach?

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@systemnova , display folder means, you want to create folder in power bi tables ? - https://powerbidocs.com/2020/10/25/creating-display-folder-in-power-bi/

or you want to display folder from the source. 

If you want to display a folder from the source. Just add one folder as a source and do expand or transform the data post that. You will get list of files 

Thanks for your thoughts.
I do mean display folders like in your first link. It's possible to break the file into separate sources to create something like a display folder, but this wouldnt allow for nested folders & I'm also looking to edit other metadata (eg. the synonyms, data type, format, category, summarize... and so on)
So far i'm only aware of the drop-down / point&click methods as shown in the link you provided.
Do you know if there is any other way to edit the metadata, maybe in the source (eg. parquet),
or programmatically via Mquery/DAX?
I'm pretty sure there would be a way with an SSAS backend, but this project doesnt use that infrastructure.
I think the only other way to edit/set these fields is via TabularEditor, but i cant use that tool in this workplace and ideally I'm hoping it could be an edit i could make in script via R/Python/Mquery.
I feel like PBIXR comes close to acheiving this in R, but it hasnt been updated in a while and I'm not sure this metadata is available in the file even after decompression?

Hi @systemnova ,

As far as I know, I think Power BI support us to do some edit in Power Query Editor. If you want to edit data from folder, I suggest you to get data from folder, combine them then do some edit in Power Query Editor.

For reference: Combine files (binaries) in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.