Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tanlooting

Setting constraints between multiple parameters

Hi all,

I am creating a scoring band 1 to 5 based on 4 thresholds.

How can I create constraints such that the thresholds should always be set in a sequence for eg, threshold for score 5 cannot be lower than threshold for score 4 etc.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tanlooting,

Please share sample data and illustrate your desired output with more details.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft @vanessafvg

Sorry I can't really share the files that I am working on since I am on a company laptop.

But to illustrate that, let me use a screenshot instead.

To keep it simple let's just say 3 scoring threshold. I created 3 'what if' parameters with slicers that the user could change the threshold dynamically.

test.PNG

for example currently score 5 threshold is at 100000. so anything above 100000, the data would be a score 5. Anything below, it will be score 4 or 3. So how can I constrain the user from setting the score5 value below score 4? since logically, it would not make sense. for eg, score 4 is set at 50000, so score5 threshold cannot go below score4

I was thinking perhaps the score 4 range could be dynamically changed to (0 to current selected value of 5):

score4= generateseries( 0 , selectedvalue of 5 )   

Note that the formula is not correct, just to illustrate the point.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@tanlooting  how are you doing the banding, in a switch statement?

example

column =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    AND ( scoringband< 1, scoringband <= 2 )1,
    AND ( scoringband < 2, scoringband <= 3 )2,
)

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg 

I am current using 4 parameters (with slicers) to control separately and having a very simple card to indicate if the threshold is set wrongly.

I have not looked into switch statement before. Can user toggle and make adjustment with the switch statement?

@tanlootingi guess im struggling to see what you doing, maybe if you can share the data with your expected result?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.