Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

EDWNW
Frequent Visitor

Set a Role for Anyone

I have a dashboard with Role Level Security (RLS); everything is working great. However, if someone with access shares the dashboard with someone else, and that person tries to access the report, they get a Cannot Load Model error (which is to be expected). I am trying to figure out if there is a way to show anyone my landing page, which has instructions on gaining access. I created another role called "Anyone" and used Object Level Security (OLS) to block everything except the landing page; however, I don't know how to handle the assigned members. By definition, I don't know who doesn't have access and might want it, so I don't know who to assign. I tried to assign *@company.com, but PowerBI didn't like that. Also, I am working for a company with tens of thousands of employees, so I cannot list them all, and IT would frown on me asking for a PDL will all employees in it... Any ideas on how to overcome this obstacle?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @EDWNW 

As of now,PowerBI doesn't support  set a default role or an ALL employee role.

You can  consider adding users to the following groups to set up row level security.

• Distribution Group
  • Mail-enabled Group
  • Security Group

For more details ,please refer to this related document.

Rls_working-with-members 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@EDWNW , Just an idea. You can use RLS to control page navigation. So if the user/email is not your access table(Table of RLS, if any) , Then you can display only the landing page. 

Refer this video, if you think above idea can work -https://youtu.be/FrEDZZXiit8

Thanks for the video, using RLS for which pages to display is a great idea.

However, I still have a roadblock. The issue is with assigning people to the roles in the PowerBI service. If I haven't assigned someone to a role, PowerBI will just give them an error. As my company has tens of thousands of employees, it is not feasible to add everyone to a role and IT wont let me have a PDL with everyone in it.

Idealy there would be way to make a default role or an ALL employee role. So if I do not explicity assign someone a role, they fall under the default role.

Hi, @EDWNW 

As of now,PowerBI doesn't support  set a default role or an ALL employee role.

You can  consider adding users to the following groups to set up row level security.

• Distribution Group
  • Mail-enabled Group
  • Security Group

For more details ,please refer to this related document.

Rls_working-with-members 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.