Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Separating data with multiple variables in one cell into multiple

Hello! I have a dataset with 3 types of data pulled from FOI requests and such that I would appreciate help with.

The data has 3 columns.

"Title" or the heading of the initial request

"Action" with a listing of the process related to it, such as an information request, copy, or advising a user. This column can contain multiple types of variables as the request can require many actions to be taken.

"Topic" , pertaining to what kind of information the request was about, such as legal, archive, other etc. This can also contain multiple of values in the same cell as the information provided can overlap.

The title field is currently of no interest to me as they are all unique, but I would like to view the other two fields and be able to better combine them, as currently PowerBI reads a field such as "archive other" as unique and separate from both the "archive" and "other" variables, when what I want it for it to count as both of them.

And this same row can contain multiple types of action, as well. Is it possible to either separate them easily as the dataset is reasonably large or even better have them register as I wish for them, so they would count separately, possibly with a delineator?

Below is an example of my data, apologies for the data not being in english. In total there are 6 actions and 5 types of topics.

Any and all help is extremely appreciated!

TITLE 1Tiedonhaku  Käytön opastuseduskuntatieto  oikeudellinen tieto 
TITLE 2Tiedonhaku  Käytön opastuseduskuntatieto  oikeudellinen tieto  yhteiskuntatieto 
TITLE 3Tiedonhakueduskuntatieto  arkisto 
TITLE 4Tiedonhakueduskuntatieto  oikeudellinen tieto  yhteiskuntatieto 
TITLE 5Kopio, pdf  Käytön opastusoikeudellinen tieto 
TITLE 6Kopio, pdf  Muu toimeksiantooikeudellinen tieto  arkisto 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Not really sure if I understand your data in the format you present it but is this a single column per row or do you have 3 columns?

Another question is how do you know what is the split between the several actions and topics? Is it based on the space between the words or are there any other way to limit those fields?

In the Query Editor you can do a split by delimiter, and instead of doing new columns you can do rows, believe that is what you need to do however if you can answer the questions above it woudl be easier to help you achieve the final result.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Not really sure if I understand your data in the format you present it but is this a single column per row or do you have 3 columns?

Another question is how do you know what is the split between the several actions and topics? Is it based on the space between the words or are there any other way to limit those fields?

In the Query Editor you can do a split by delimiter, and instead of doing new columns you can do rows, believe that is what you need to do however if you can answer the questions above it woudl be easier to help you achieve the final result.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.