Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

djheathy
Helper I
Helper I

Selecting single value from multiple rows

I've created an example to illustrate the challenge that I'm facing, but basically, I want to show active subscribers over time (I'm ok with this bit) and total subscription value. However, I only want to see them categorised ONCE against their total subscription value depending on what Services they subscribe to.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 10.51.50.png

E.G. if they subscribe to a RED service plus any other service then categorise them as RED (for the period the RED service was active), if their is no, RED, but a BLUE then categorise them as BLUE etc. 

It's pretty straight forward to each of their individual services, but I only want them categorised once, based on some Case logic. I can allocate each category a rank using the SWITCH function, and try creating a calculation selecting max rank, but I'm still seeing counting in both services due to the 1:n nature of the relationship

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @djheathy,

According to your needs, I created the following content for your reference, I hope it can help you:

1. Create a table for determining the level of service by using value 1,2,3:

Untitled picture.png

1. Create a column for calculating the value of the highest level of service (active subscriber)subscribed by the current subscriber:

Column = CALCULATE(MAX(Service[Column1]), FILTER(ALL(Subscriber), Subscriber[Subscriber] = EARLIER(Subscriber[Subscriber])&&Subscriber[to] = BLANK()))

Untitled picture1.png

3.Create a column for calculating Whether the level of the current service is higher than the highest level of service subscribed by the current subscriber, if it is return 1, otherwise return 0:

Column 2 = IF(Subscriber[Column] = BLANK(),0,IF(RELATED(Service[Column1])<Subscriber[Column],0,1))

Untitled picture2.png

4. Create a measure for calculate active subscriber for each service:

Measure = var a = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Subscriber),Subscriber[Column 2] = 1) return IF(a = 0,0,a)

Untitled picture3.png

Please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EXxfieGQruBAn6Sq8b...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@djheathy , What is the final output you want.

"A" should be blue? or you want to remove the overlap. Can you share sample data in a table format? Also sample output

Hi @amitchandak 

Sure, so in a table showing 'current' subscribers (I only have two in the example I mocked-up), I would see something like:

ServiceNumber of Subscribers
Red1
Blue1
Green0
None0

Subscriber C would be counted once as having a 'Red' serive and subscriber A would be counted once as having a 'blue' service. 

Even though subscriber C also has an active blue subscription, I don't want to count them there, as I've already counted them once in a higher ranking category.

I hope this makes sense. I could use a calculated column to capture this primary category, but because I need to see this over time, it needs to be more dynamic than that. 

Thank you for responding!

Hi @djheathy,

According to your needs, I created the following content for your reference, I hope it can help you:

1. Create a table for determining the level of service by using value 1,2,3:

Untitled picture.png

1. Create a column for calculating the value of the highest level of service (active subscriber)subscribed by the current subscriber:

Column = CALCULATE(MAX(Service[Column1]), FILTER(ALL(Subscriber), Subscriber[Subscriber] = EARLIER(Subscriber[Subscriber])&&Subscriber[to] = BLANK()))

Untitled picture1.png

3.Create a column for calculating Whether the level of the current service is higher than the highest level of service subscribed by the current subscriber, if it is return 1, otherwise return 0:

Column 2 = IF(Subscriber[Column] = BLANK(),0,IF(RELATED(Service[Column1])<Subscriber[Column],0,1))

Untitled picture2.png

4. Create a measure for calculate active subscriber for each service:

Measure = var a = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Subscriber),Subscriber[Column 2] = 1) return IF(a = 0,0,a)

Untitled picture3.png

Please refer to the pbix file: https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EXxfieGQruBAn6Sq8b...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon

@amitchandak 

Maybe I should be trying to create 4 separate measures and filter down each measure using the CONTAINS function?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.