Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

traviscole
Advocate I
Advocate I

Select All in Slicer (selecting hidden values)

I've looked and seen several other people asking this general topic, with no good real world answer at this point, so I am going to ask again in the offchance someone found a good solution that I could not find on my own.  Picture attached is a simplified proof of concept of what I am trying to accomplish (and the problem).

Page has 2 slicers and a table.  I want slicer A (selecting stores) to filter slicer B to show Zip codes those stores are in.  Then I want slicer B to filter the table to show all stores in those zip codes.  Slicer A does not interact with the table, and slicer B does not interact with slicer A.

What we get is slicer A selecting stores, then slicer B showing the Zip codes.  When we hit 'select all' in slicer B, it selects ALL zip codes (even the ones that have been filtered out by slicer A). 

Has a way been discovered yet to make 'select all' not select the filtered options, or is there another way to quickly click and select all the zip codes in a slicer (without using select all).  Manually going down slicer B and selecting the zip codes one by one gives the correct Table at the end, but clicking 100+ Zips one after another is not an acceptable real world application.

Thanks in adavnce if there is a solution that I have not seen, or even if it is people just telling me that we are still stuck with select all still grabbing the filtered selections.

bi slicers.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@traviscole 

This is by design, select all option is basically selecting all value in the field. Slicer A filters the value to be displayed in the Slicer B, other unseen values are still selected but just not displaying. I would recommend you to just enable the interaction between Slicer A and Table visual.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

As I said already, it defeats the purpose of the slicers to have them interact like that for what I want them to do.  And you can call it a feature all you want, where it selects the hidden values in a filter, but to most people out there I can safely assume that we are all going to call it a bug or an oversight.

traviscole
Advocate I
Advocate I

I told it not to.  In practice, this is 3 slicers.  I just made 3rd one a table to make the explanation easier on people.  In practice, Slicer A selects the target store chain, Slicer B Selects the Zip codes that chain is in (filtered from A), and Slicer C lets you select (after sorting by # of stores) competitive chains in the Zip Codes from B.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try disabling that restriction and see what happens

Defeats the purpose of the slicers.  Slicer A is for when I want to show data for target stores.  Slicer B is to just show stores in the zip codes.  And Slicer C (table) is to pick out the top competitors in those zip codes.

Slicers are what they need to be, just need to know if anyone has a way to make the select all not select hidden things, or a trick to select 100+ boxes faster.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious question, why Slicer A does not interact with the table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.