Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shaiksamar2244
Frequent Visitor

Salesforce objects live connections

Hello Team,

I'm trying to connect the salesforce live connection to the Power BI desktop. Below are the steps followed.

• Get data and select salesforce objects production.
  • Logged in through my Salesforce login credentials.

I was able to get the data, But the data doesn't look live because 2024 data is not available through this connection. 

Do we have any other way to get this live Salesforce data to power the BI desktop or is this the only method?

Thanks,

Samar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The SalesForce Objects connector only supports Import Mode. Neither Live connection nor Direct Query mode are supported.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EugeneLebedev
Helper III
Helper III

I would recommend to use Salesforce Reports connector instead of Salesforce object. It is a lot faster to load . It is really the most convenient way of extracting data into Power BI since all your needed columns are in one table there.

Salesforce Object connector also sometimes takes ages to load the data. I used to wait for hours for a preview of my tables to load in Power Query.

It only allows you to extract 2000 rows though. However, you can work around this limitation using third-party tools. Here is the approach that I would recommend: https://vidi-corp.com/connect-salesforce-reports-to-power-bi/

That sounds like a lot of effort, and would require you to actually have a field that could be used for the chunking.  Our reports usually run in the millions of rows, so chunking these into 2K pieces will get old quickly.

We use UTF-8 CSV exports of the reports, placed on a SharePoint. No row limits, fast ingestion from Power BI.  

If you need  better real time, use Salesforce Reports as they were intended.

The field that can be used for chunking is "date_updated" or "date_created". It isn't really a problem. 

With the approach that I described data would be extracted using Python and blended in Azure before being loaded into the database. As a result, Azure would do the heavy lifting and not Power BI. Even if you have 500 chunks, Azure can handle it.  Of course Power BI on it's own can not.

Of course Power BI on it's own can not.

One could think that. But it turns out that Power Query filters on the Salesforce Object connector in some scenarios do fold into SOQL queries (even with the "view native query"  greyed out).   You are right when it comes to Salesforce reports.

Shaiksamar2244
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I got the solution for this. Thank you so much for your information.

Thanks,

Samar

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The SalesForce Objects connector only supports Import Mode. Neither Live connection nor Direct Query mode are supported.

If this is important to you please consider voting for an existing idea or raising a new one at https://ideas.fabric.microsoft.com/?forum=2d80fd4a-16cb-4189-896b-e0dac5e08b41

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.