Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

umershamshad
Frequent Visitor

Sales according to a specific item status between a date range

I have an item status table with status of item between different date ranges like below:

umershamshad_0-1673533940304.png

I also have a DimProduct and Calendar table for dimensions and a FactSales table for sales. DimProduct is joined with ItemStatus and FactSales table and Calendar table is also joined with FactSales table. (One-to-many relationship) 

I'm trying to create a measure in Power BI to show sales for a specific date with the item status that is defined on that specific date:

umershamshad_1-1673534279221.png

Sales =
CALCULATE(
[Qty Sold],
MAX('Calendar'[Date]) >= MIN(ItemStatus[FromDate]) &&
MAX('Calendar'[Date]) <= MAX(ItemStatus[ToDate])
)

Any idea why it isn't working? Also, can I use the dates in a slicer to check for a given month, how many items were sold when the status was active and how many when the status was discontinued? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @umershamshad ,

I updated your sample pbix file, please check if that is what you want. Please update the formula of measure [Sales] as below:

Sales = 
CALCULATE (
    [Qty Sold],
    FILTER (
        FactSales,
        'FactSales'[Date] >= SELECTEDVALUE ( ItemStatus[FromDate] )
            && 'FactSales'[Date] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( ItemStatus[ToDate] )
    )
)

yingyinr_0-1673838129758.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @umershamshad ,

You can update the formula of measure [Sales] as below and check if you can get the expected result...

Sales =
VAR _seldate =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Qty Sold],
        FILTER (
            ItemStatus,
            _seldate >= ItemStatus[FromDate]
                && _seldate <= ItemStatus[ToDate]
        )
    )

If the above one can't help you, could you please provide some raw data in your tables 'FactSales', 'DimProduct' and 'ItemStatus' (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples? Please also provide these table relationship info. It would be helpful to find out the solution. You can refer the following links to share the required info:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

And It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

Thanks for your response. The above measure didn't work, you can download the PBI file using this GDrive link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Cfabc9mUwwr7tMemZlAITJ3fjFhXHOk/view?usp=sharing

I'm also trying to work around this by creating a status table for every item for every date (data volume is an issue here). However, if you find a solution, please let me know. Thanks

Hi @umershamshad ,

I updated your sample pbix file, please check if that is what you want. Please update the formula of measure [Sales] as below:

Sales = 
CALCULATE (
    [Qty Sold],
    FILTER (
        FactSales,
        'FactSales'[Date] >= SELECTEDVALUE ( ItemStatus[FromDate] )
            && 'FactSales'[Date] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( ItemStatus[ToDate] )
    )
)

yingyinr_0-1673838129758.png

Best Regards

Hi umershamshad,

I remade the measure for the sales as below,

"

Sales =
VAR _seldate =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
var _Itemstatusfiltered =
SELECTCOLUMNS(
filter(
ItemStatus,
ItemStatus[FromDate]<=_seldate &&
ItemStatus[ToDate]>=_seldate
),
"ProductID",[ProductID]
)
RETURN
CALCULATE (
[Qty Sold],
CALCULATETABLE(
values(DimProduct[ProductID]),
DimProduct[ProductID] IN _Itemstatusfiltered
)
)
"

and recreate the visual as below,

TonyZhou1980_0-1673685650320.png

You may try and see if it meets your need.

Best regards

Tony

Hi @TonyZhou1980 ,

I used the measure, but my visual is empty apprently. Have you changed any table relationships? Please let me know if you have, thanks.

Hi umershamshad,

I did not change any relationship. Maybe the problem is which table the Product ID is from, mine is from fact table, please have a try.

Thank you,

Tony

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.