Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL Statement to query a Power BI Dataflow

Hello everyone

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, I couldn't find a working example.

I have a very large Power BI Dataflow set up, will all Sales history over 10 years. My report, that I build on PBI desktop, only looks for the Sales of the current year.

Right now, using the Power Bi Dataflow connector, I can't find the place to write my SQL statement like "SELECT order_id FROM Sales WHERE Sales_date = 2021"

The M Code in Advanced Editor is this :

let
Source = PowerBI.Dataflows([]),
#"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" = Source{[workspaceId="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"]}[Data],
#"yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" = #"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"{[dataflowId="yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"]}[Data],
#"Sales" = #"yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"{[entity="Sales"]}[Data]

Right now, PBI is pulling the whole history and all the columns of the table Sales Orders, and that takes almost 1 hour to perform Join in the subsequent steps.

Isn't there a way to amend the M code in order to pass a SQL statement to limit the amount of data transfered ?

Thanks a lot,

A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You should be able to add a filter step in your query editor to select just 2021 data. I don't think the dataflow necessarily uses SQL but that shouldn't matter.

Your query will look something like this with the new step.

let
    #"yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" = #"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"{[dataflowId="yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"]}[Data],
    #"Sales" = #"yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"{[entity="Sales"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Sales", each [sales_date] >= #date(2021, 1, 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You should be able to add a filter step in your query editor to select just 2021 data. I don't think the dataflow necessarily uses SQL but that shouldn't matter.

Your query will look something like this with the new step.

let
    #"Sales" = #"yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"{[entity="Sales"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Sales", each [sales_date] >= #date(2021, 1, 1))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak 

Does that mean it's impossible to send a complex query with JOIN etc, to be executed on the Dataflows side before the data is sent back to Power BI ?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can use M parameter but that will limit data, can only be changed in the deployment pipeline

refer

https://www.fourmoo.com/2020/10/08/power-query-m-passing-parameters-dynamically-to-a-sql-server-query/

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.