Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samoberoi
Helper II
Helper II

Row Level security on Power BI

Hi,

Earlier on i have restricted all the end users from a few options on the Report level filter. However, i now have a few people who need to have access to these filters which i have restricted everyone from and keep this restriction in place for the rest of the people. Is it possible to continue the report level restriction for all the remaining users and give access to the few number of people through Row Level Security?
Help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

2 REPLIES 2
d_rohlfs
Helper I
Helper I

You could go through the process of setting up similar filters using Row Level Security (RLS) then change the restrictions for specific users, but that could take a bit of work depending on how many users you have. Here is a blog going over how to create and use RLS
Power BI Row Level Security (RLS) : :: Welcome To EPM Strategy ::
With RLS, you can get it to be dynamic based on the users email address, for your special users without restrictions, you would need to do them separately, or be more specific with your dynamic table.

Another solution would be to just create a separate report that doesn't have those filters. But again, without knowing more about your current situation it is hard to say which option would be better. 

Hi d_rohlfs,

Thanks for responding to my query. I will have to give access to almost 20 users and restrict the rest. So, will have to remove the already placed report level filter, which i also have hidden and then apply dynamic RLS restricting the access to all the users apart from the ones whose list i have got and who i want to give access to? Right? However, is this possible to do it other way around? I mean if i have got a list of users can i give them the access through any RLS method and the rest of people should automatically be restricted from these options on PBI service through the report level filter used, which i have also hidden on PBI desktop? 
Hope i am explaining it properly.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.