Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jossy
Regular Visitor

Restricted by data structure

Hi,

I'm unable to build a chart I would like as my 'values' data is in 3 separate columns rather than 1 column that is categorised by a companion column. This I realise is not the greatest of explanations so here's a quick current and desired:

Current:

CountryCost 1Cost 2
France510
Germany88
UK96
France96
Germany910
UK108

Desired:

CountryCost TypeCost
France15
Germany17
UK15
France19
Germany15
UK15
France26
Germany26
UK210
France210
Germany27
UK28

With the latter I can create a wider range of charts, e.g. waterfalls, and also drill into the data easier.

Is there a way to sort the data differently on loading it or alternatively am I missing something when wanting to create charts? I've always had this problem with Pivot Tables too!

Jossy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi ,

no, you will not have problems with refreshing, because all transformation steps will be repeated every time you refresh you data model. I am happy, when this is the solution you needed 😉

Regards,
Lars

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi ,

when you have your table in your import dialog mark cost1 and cost2 and click on transform --> unpivot. That should take you to the desired table structure 😉

Hope that helped,

Regards
Lars

Great stuff Lars! You have no idea how revolutionary that's going to be for me!

Will I hit problems refreshing data as the data structures are now different?

Phil

Hi ,

no, you will not have problems with refreshing, because all transformation steps will be repeated every time you refresh you data model. I am happy, when this is the solution you needed 😉

Regards,
Lars

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.