Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ntec35
Frequent Visitor

Response Rate Measure - Multiple Tables

I have two tables, one with total survey recipients and one with survey responders. I want to be able to apply filters to show response rate by state and by an executive (Y/N) column.  I created a measure to calculate response rate which works correctly until I try to apply the filters, it looks like the measure is still using the total survey recipients as the denominator even after the filters should be applied.  Is there a different way I can structure the data to fix this problem?  The State and Executive columns are both many to many relationships, I tried adding relationships but the calculation doesn't work across both filters whether I create a relationship or not.  

Response Rate = Divide(count('Master Responses List'[Email Address]),COUNT('Master Recipient List'[Email]))

Master Responses List
StateEmail AddressExecutive
Mississippiexample@example.comNo
Pennsylvaniapa@pa.comYes

Master Recipients List
StateEmail AddressExecutive
Mississippiexample@example.comNo
Pennsylvaniapa@pa.comYes
Mississippihello@hello.comNo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @ntec35 ,

without knowing your data model or report it's really difficult to recommend a different approach.

My assumption is as follows, in your report you columns from the Response table to filter this table down, as both are not related the Recipients table will not be filtered, this then explains the "total" denominator.

Create "dimension" tables like "State" and "Executive". Create relationships between these dimension tables (the one-side) and your existing tables (the many-side). Use columns from these dimension tables in your slicers and visuals.
This provides a good introduction to data modeling: Model data in Power BI - Learn | Microsoft Docs 

Maybe you also have to change the measure if necessary like so, if you want to avoid an executive yes/no table: 

DIVIDE(

CALCULATE(
COUNT( respons[email] )
, response[executive] = "YES"
)
CALCULATE(
COUNT( recipient[email] )
, recipient[executive] = "YES"
)

)

Hopefully, this provides what you need to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ntec35 ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @ntec35 ,

without knowing your data model or report it's really difficult to recommend a different approach.

My assumption is as follows, in your report you columns from the Response table to filter this table down, as both are not related the Recipients table will not be filtered, this then explains the "total" denominator.

Create "dimension" tables like "State" and "Executive". Create relationships between these dimension tables (the one-side) and your existing tables (the many-side). Use columns from these dimension tables in your slicers and visuals.
This provides a good introduction to data modeling: Model data in Power BI - Learn | Microsoft Docs 

Maybe you also have to change the measure if necessary like so, if you want to avoid an executive yes/no table: 

DIVIDE(

CALCULATE(
COUNT( respons[email] )
, response[executive] = "YES"
)
CALCULATE(
COUNT( recipient[email] )
, recipient[executive] = "YES"
)

)

Hopefully, this provides what you need to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.