Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wsgjamesabl
Frequent Visitor

Replace Weekly Units Sold with Past 4 Weeks Average Based on Out of Stock

Hi there,
I'm trying to plan for inventory demand and one of the issues with that is accounting for out of stocks. If I'm selling 25 units a week on average and one week I ran out of inventory, then I want to calculate what I should have sold if it was in stock. So instead of a normal average (75 sold/4 weeks = ~19 per week) I want it to account for that out of stock and take what the average has been prior when they were in stock (so it'd know 100 would have sold / 4 weeks = 25 a week)

I started with first creating a flag system that shows if we ran out of stock that week.  I added a column to the data: if the type = inventory and the inventory is less than 3(our threshold), put a 1 and if the quantity was greater than 3, give a 0. This gave me the table below, "Days OOS".
You can see that week 8/30/2020 had 2 days where inventory was less than 3 and then it's full 7/7 days for 3 weeks that we were out of stock. Now that the flag is in place, I'm trying to make a formula that says, "if Days OOS is greater than 0, use the last 4 weeks average from that date". You can see the "math" in action in the chart below this one that I made in Excel.
The issue I'm struggling with is having PowerBI know how to look back the 4 weeks from the specific date itself. Right now, it's doing 4-week average from either the start of the date range I have filtered OR the past 4 weeks from today. I need it to reference the 4 weeks before 8/30/2020. Another issue is how to make it iterate over multiple weeks out of stock, like the example below.
Does anyone have an idea of how I should go about this? I really appreciate any help you can give!
11.png
1112.PNG
1 REPLY 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.