Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bkazzaz

Repeat rows of column and display available values in other columns

Hello everyone,

The title may not explain what exactly i'm looking for. myself can't even get to understand how to describe it in my head. so i thought the best way to ask for help is to display the input and the result i'm trying to achieve in excel. 

here's what i currently have: 

bkazzaz_0-1621702033491.png

and here's what i'm trying to achieve:

bkazzaz_1-1621702087892.png

I have over 30 thousands products, with over 50 attributes that are set as headers, and values that are set as values. so i can't basically do anything manually. 

Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @bkazzaz 

Simply select the Product column,  use "Unpivot other columns" and then filter out the blanks. Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCjBU0lFyyilNBVJA5JuYA2UpxeoAZY0gnAhdn8SidKiMCVzWGMgKSk2BagAj0wpTpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Product = _t, Color = _t, Size = _t, Gender = _t, Number = _t, Dimension = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", type text}, {"Color", type text}, {"Size", type text}, {"Gender", type text}, {"Number", Int64.Type}, {"Dimension", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Product"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", each ([Value] <> ""))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @bkazzaz 

Simply select the Product column,  use "Unpivot other columns" and then filter out the blanks. Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCjBU0lFyyilNBVJA5JuYA2UpxeoAZY0gnAhdn8SidKiMCVzWGMgKSk2BagAj0wpTpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Product = _t, Color = _t, Size = _t, Gender = _t, Number = _t, Dimension = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product", type text}, {"Color", type text}, {"Size", type text}, {"Gender", type text}, {"Number", Int64.Type}, {"Dimension", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Product"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", each ([Value] <> ""))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Thank you so much @AlB . This was very quick solution. i really appreciate. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.