Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AmyD

Reordering values

I have a column in Power Query labelled 'priority'. There are 3 values: high, medium, low. When I create a table, I drag in the 'priority' column; however, it automatically orders them alphabetically = high, low, medium. Is there a way around this? 

As they're not individual columns, I can't drag them into order. Sorting ascending/descending doesn't work either.

Thanks,

Priority.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

You should create a simple lookup table. On the Home tab, look for the button "Enter Data". Creat a table with three rows:

High    1

Medium     2

Low          3

After that, set the Sort Order column of the text field above to the INT field in that table. Lastly, join that table to the table that contains those values. Display the Text from this table instead. Power BI will then sort them by the INT in this lookup table.

Another method: Create a calculated column in your table with something like this:

Priority Sort = IF [Priority] = "High", 1, IF ( [Priority] = Medium, 2....)

And sort Priority by Priority Sort.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JoeBarry
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @AmyD 

Presuming you want to order fom Low to High

In the table add a new column

DAX: NewColumn

Priority Sort = if('priority' = "Low" , 1,
if('priority' = "Medium" , 2,
if('priority' = "High" , 3,0)

Mquery: Add New Column

if([priority] = "Low" then 1 else
if([priority] = "Medium" then 2 else
if([priority] = "High" then 3 else 0

After you have implemented either one, go to the Data View and highlight the priority column and click on Sort by Column and choose the priority sort. The visual should then change

JoeBarry_0-1691750655098.png

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

You should create a simple lookup table. On the Home tab, look for the button "Enter Data". Creat a table with three rows:

High    1

Medium     2

Low          3

After that, set the Sort Order column of the text field above to the INT field in that table. Lastly, join that table to the table that contains those values. Display the Text from this table instead. Power BI will then sort them by the INT in this lookup table.

Another method: Create a calculated column in your table with something like this:

Priority Sort = IF [Priority] = "High", 1, IF ( [Priority] = Medium, 2....)

And sort Priority by Priority Sort.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @AmyD ,

So first of all, Create a conditional column in Power query to identify if value equal to high then 1, medium then 2, low then 3.

the you load the data to Power BI, and sort the column of high meduim low by the one with numbers.

Idrissshatila_0-1691750332630.png

check this for more info https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-sort-by-column?tabs=powerbi-deskto...

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.