Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AlessandroBet
Resolver I
Resolver I

Remove column from xls

I'm getting data from xls file and i have created many visuals. Now i have to remove a column from the xls source and refresh the data. This comun is not used anymore indise PBI file

Which is the right process in order to avoid errors after refreshing?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@AlessandroBet ,

If this column was not used in any transformation at PowerQuery steps then you don't need to do anything. Possible types of steps which can contain the name of the column in a transformation are Renamed columns, Pivot/Unpivot, Reordered columns, Transpose etc. Actually, you can go to Advanced Editor and remove the name of this column from all steps. 

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@AlessandroBet 

If the columns is not used at all. Simply delete in the excel then manual refresh will not cause any error. 

Best,
Paul

zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@AlessandroBet ,

If this column was not used in any transformation at PowerQuery steps then you don't need to do anything. Possible types of steps which can contain the name of the column in a transformation are Renamed columns, Pivot/Unpivot, Reordered columns, Transpose etc. Actually, you can go to Advanced Editor and remove the name of this column from all steps. 

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@AlessandroBet -

In https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Restoring-Removed-Column-Power-BI-Desktop/m-p/895271#M42918..., it was discussed on how to restore the column.

I believe the safest method to be RIGHT CLICK > DELETE the Column in the Fields List. The presumption of course is you're not referencing the values in the Column otherwise errors would be received.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.