Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remove Duplicates with date condition

Hey all,

I have a table that looks as follows:

Duplicate_1.png

I want to remove the duplcate ID's but only based on the condition that it removes the old records of the survey. For example, ID 123 has been recorded twice - 7/15/2019 and 8/15/2019. I want to remove the record 7/15/2019 and only retain the latest survey details. My output should look as follows:

Duplicate_2.png

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Remove-duplicate-with-date-condition/m-p/702377#M339051

I followed the above thread for guidance, but I get an error:

Duplicate_3.png

What is the best way to do this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

You just need to change your edit query somethign like this:

Capture45.PNG

1. Add comma

2. And than add the code you refered in the post.

3. then remove duplicatas on the ID . You will get the results you are looking for.

My output:

Capture 5.PNG

Thanks,

Tejaswi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

You just need to change your edit query somethign like this:

Capture45.PNG

1. Add comma

2. And than add the code you refered in the post.

3. then remove duplicatas on the ID . You will get the results you are looking for.

My output:

Capture 5.PNG

Thanks,

Tejaswi

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thank u!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try this in Power Query:

1). Sort your data by ID (ascending or descending, doesnt matter)

2) Sort your Date Completed Descending (that does matter!)

3) GroupBy ID and Under "Operation" select All Rows

4) Need to add "GroupKind.Local" at the end of the formula that was automatically generated when you did #3

original:

= Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"ID"}, {{"allrows", each _, type table [ID=number, Name=text, Date Completed=date, Q1=text, Q2=text]}})

modified:

= Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"ID"}, {{"AllRows", each _, type table [ID=number, Name=text, Date Completed=date, Q1=text, Q2=text]}},GroupKind.Local)

5) Add a custom column with:

Table.FirstN([AllRows],1)

6) Remove all the other columns except for what was created in #5

7) Expand that column and Set data types

Final Table:

Groupkind Local.png

Full M Code (many of these steps could be combined, but that makes it harder to follow)

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"Date Completed", type date}, {"Q1", type text}, {"Q2", type text}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{ {"ID", Order.Ascending},{"Date Completed", Order.Descending}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"ID"}, {{"AllRows", each _, type table [ID=number, Name=text, Date Completed=date, Q1=text, Q2=text]}},GroupKind.Local),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Table.FirstN([AllRows],1)),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Custom", {"ID", "Name", "Date Completed", "Q1", "Q2"}, {"ID", "Name", "Date Completed", "Q1", "Q2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Custom",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"Date Completed", type date}, {"Q1", type text}, {"Q2", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

-Nick

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thank you! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.