Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ArjanLoogman

Relationships and calculated columns

First of all: Hello! Newbie here!

Nice to have found a place to learn...

I might have been trying this all the wrong way, but here goes:

A have four different tables, each containing info such as type, address and zipcode of a specific kind of 'institution' whithin one city (i,e, dentists, pharmacy).

I have another table containing a column of zipcodes and a column of city regions. Multiple zipcodes apply to one city region.

Managing relationships and using the RELATED function I have been able to add a column to each institution's table showing to wich city region each dentist or pharmacy, etc. belongs.

Now, I would like to calculate how many of each institution there are per city region and put those numbers in a seperate table (NewTable) with the names of the city regions. Also, I would like to use that number in further calculations (i.e. divide the population per city region by the number of pharmacies in that city region).

I've tried things like CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Dentists);FILTER(Dentists;[CityRegion]=NewTable[CityRegion])), but that gave me all blank fields.

Can anyone help me? I've been staring at this for a week now and I feel this should be easy. Have I overlooked anything?

Greetings, ArjanLoogman

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @ArjanLoogman

Any chance you can post a screenshot of your relationship view for these tables?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Phil_Seamark,

HereRelationships.png it is...

Had to translate the project into English, took a while.

Kind regards,

ArjanLoogman

Hi @ArjanLoogman,

Please change the single filter to both cross filter direction as follows. Then check if it works fine.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thank you for your tip! Unfortunately, this didn't solve the situation.

Riddle me this:

I've succeeded doing a similar count with two simple tables: one table  with a column for teacher names and another table with a column for class number (1-10) and a column for attending teacher.

using both: numClasses = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Classes;Classes[Teacher]=Teachers[Teachers]))

and: numClasses = COUNTAX(FILTER(Classes;Classes[Teacher]=Teachers[Teachers]);[Teachers])

I've managed to calculate how many classes each teacher has given.

Unfortunately, these formulas don't work on my other project.

The only difference between Classes[Teacher] and the column from my problematic project, Dentists[CityRegion], is the fact that the latter is a calculated column based on a lookup from a related table: CityRegion=Related(CityRegionsAndZipCodes[CityRegion])

Classes[Teacher] is simply a manually filled column.

Thoughts, anyone?

Kind regards,

ArjanLoogman

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.