Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ukaya19079
Regular Visitor

Related DAX Function

Hi,

I have a question about the RELATED DAX function if someone can help please.

I can create a new column on table X with getting the column from table Y with RELATED function. But it doesn't let me do the opposite ( creating a new column on table Y with getting the column table X).  There is one to many relationship between the table X and Y  and also I tried both cross filter direction but didn't le me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ukaya19079 ,

When there is a one-to-many relationship between two tables, we usually use the RRELATED() function to get unique records from one side. You can create calculated columns in the fact table to verify it.

Column = RELATED(FactTable[Key])

RELATED

Similarly, if we are at one side (DimTable), there will be multiple records in the fact table table corresponding to one of the rows of DimTable, and we use the RELATEDTABLE () function to get the corresponding record in the fact table (a table).

RELATEDTABLE

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your desired outcome of the second (creating a new column on table Y with getting the column table X) looks like, but please try using RELATEDTABLE DAX function.

RELATEDTABLE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thank you Jihwan_Kim. 

I just watched a tutarial about it. I don't know why but, if there is a 1 to many relation between 2 tables, RELATED DAX will work only on the table where there is many relationships, it won't work on the table where there is only  1 relation. 

Thanks a lot for responding.

Hi @ukaya19079 ,

When there is a one-to-many relationship between two tables, we usually use the RRELATED() function to get unique records from one side. You can create calculated columns in the fact table to verify it.

Column = RELATED(FactTable[Key])

RELATED

Similarly, if we are at one side (DimTable), there will be multiple records in the fact table table corresponding to one of the rows of DimTable, and we use the RELATEDTABLE () function to get the corresponding record in the fact table (a table).

RELATEDTABLE

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.