Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

simonroyjones
Frequent Visitor

Refresh when source data has changed

Hi 

I have a number of reports that run from SQL Server tables that I maintain.

All my reports import the data and then they are synced through a gateway to online versions every night.

If I add a column to one of the source table then refresh the data in the desktop product, the refresh fails as the underlying data has changed.

Is there any way to get Power BI to see there is an additional column and add it to the available fields (maybe incremental refresh).

I'm not changing existing columns only adding new ones.

Thanks

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@simonroyjones ,

I'm afraid power bi service will not add the new columns automatically, you need to open pbix and add the new column in query editor(advanced editor) and then publish to power bi service.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@simonroyjones ,

I'm afraid power bi service will not add the new columns automatically, you need to open pbix and add the new column in query editor(advanced editor) and then publish to power bi service.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Jimmy

I have sort of solved the problem as well.

I was dropping the table in SQL and recreating it with a create table statement.

I found that if I add the field using 'Alter Table' and then refresh in Power BI, its fine with it.

Thanks for the advice 

Simon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.