Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ramiroferrando
Regular Visitor

Refresh data in a published report done in Desktop

Hi,

I've built a dataset using Get data from Web
These are like a dozen sources that publish new information every day.

I've done some charts with that dataset and I've published the whole thing to Power Bi Service (using the Publish to Power Bi)

I need the underlying dataset and corresponding charts to regularly refresh. 

I'm not sure how to do it.

I can go to My Workspace and schedule that "dataset" to refresh, but I think that instead of trying to "Get data" from Web, the dataset is trying to connect to the Power Bi Desktop. Which I don't want, because once published, I only care that the reports reflect the current data.

Can anyone tell me how to do it?
Moreover, can you explain the underlying process so I can understand what's going on.

I've read the tutorials, but I still can't get to understand the proper way to solve my problem.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ramiroferrando 

It is possible with schedule refresh in Power BI.

You need to configure Gateway connection->Data Source Credentials->Schedule Refresh.

See more details here.

Please look at my test below: 

1.Get data from Web using Anonymous authetication,

2.publish to Service, find this dataset, go to Setting,

Add a on-premise gateway and provide correct credential.

11.png

10.png

3.set schedule refresh time

Please note, the credentialS used in Power BI Desktop and under gateway in Power BI Service should be the same type and same one.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ramiroferrando 

When you refresh data from Power BI Service, it send queries back to the data source side instead of Power BI Desktop.

You coulf read this article more to understand the thoery of data refresh.

Best Regards
Maggie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, this was really useful. Thank you so much.

However, I'm still having an issue understanding which datasets need a Gateway connection and which don't.

For example, I have two similar reports whose only data sources are: Get data -> Web (I'm getting tables from multiple websites)
In one of the reports I get several tables in the data model, append some of them and then, I make a couple of visualizations. That report, once published in the Power Bi Service asks me to set the  Gateway connection.

But in another similar report, which is almost the same, but it's just getting data from one website  (Also Get data -> Web) is working differently. Because once I've published it to the Power Bi Service is telling me "You don't need a gateway for this dataset".

So, summing up, I'm not sure if the Gateway requirement is based on the fact that I'm using several Web sources in one of the reports and just one in the other, or if it's because I'm making multiple connections among the tables in one of the reports and I'm just using the data without modeling it in the other.
Would anyone know the answer to this?

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ramiroferrando 

You need to configure Gateway connection->Data Source Credentials->Schedule Refresh.

See more details here.

11.png

10.png

Please note, the credentialS used in Power BI Desktop and under gateway in Power BI Service should be the same type and same one.

Best Regards
Maggie

@v-juanli-msft wrote:

Hi @ramiroferrando 

See more details here.

11.png

10.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Hi, this was really useful. Thank you so much.

However, I'm still having an issue understanding which datasets need a Gateway connection and which don't.

For example, I have two similar reports whose only data sources are: Get data -> Web (I'm getting tables from multiple websites)
In one of the reports I get several tables in the data model, append some of them and then, I make a couple of visualizations. That report, once published in the Power Bi Service asks me to set the  Gateway connection.

But in another similar report, which is almost the same, but it's just getting data from one website  (Also Get data -> Web) is working differently. Because once I've published it to the Power Bi Service is telling me "You don't need a gateway for this dataset".

So, summing up, I'm not sure if the Gateway requirement is based on the fact that I'm using several Web sources in one of the reports and just one in the other, or if it's because I'm making multiple connections among the tables in one of the reports and I'm just using the data without modeling it in the other.
Would you know the answer to this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.