Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

michael_knight
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Refresh a Query once a month, the other queries on the usual incremental refresh

Hi,

I'm trying to set a refresh on one of my Queries that only happens at the start of every month. This Query will sit inside the dataset which is refreshed 9 times a day with the incremental refresh feature on Power BI Service. 

I have one Query that has a field that shows how much money is expect in at that current period. I have duplicated that field with the idea of having one on the hourly incremental refresh and the other on the monthly refresh. We want to compare to make sure what is coming in vs what was expect to come in

Does anyone know how I can set it so the refresh happens on the 1st of every month and only freshed once a month on a certain Query

Cheers,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @michael_knight ,

Power BI and Power Automate refresh only on dataset level. So there is no way do differentiate within the existing dataset.

But what you can do instead is to use a dataflow as an intermediate buffer that sits between your source data and your dataset.
So instead of querying and regularly updating the constantly changing source directly in your PBI dataset, you create a dataflow that will be refreshed on a monthly basis using a flow in Microsoft Power Automate (native refresh in PBI can only be set up to a weekly schedule).
So your main dataset can be refreshed daily, but it as it references a dataflow that will only refreshed on a monthly basis, the monthly value is kept during until the next monthly refresh.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @michael_knight ,

Power BI and Power Automate refresh only on dataset level. So there is no way do differentiate within the existing dataset.

But what you can do instead is to use a dataflow as an intermediate buffer that sits between your source data and your dataset.
So instead of querying and regularly updating the constantly changing source directly in your PBI dataset, you create a dataflow that will be refreshed on a monthly basis using a flow in Microsoft Power Automate (native refresh in PBI can only be set up to a weekly schedule).
So your main dataset can be refreshed daily, but it as it references a dataflow that will only refreshed on a monthly basis, the monthly value is kept during until the next monthly refresh.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@michael_knight - I am not aware of how to have a separate refresh schedule per query. Maybe you could code the query itself to "kick-out" based upon date/time?? @ImkeF ?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.