Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Referencing Parameter Table

Hi. I have a dataset with the two columns: object and size (queried from SQL Server). I would like to create a third column for cost. I know the cost based on the object and size (I have a cost table with object along the top and size along the bottom, in an Excel spreadsheet). What is the best way to generate a cost column, in a way that makes it easy to change the cost parameter if necessary?

I appologize if this is posted twice - I'll delete the other post if so.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

You can first unpivot the reference table in Query Editor to change its structure to below:

1.PNG2.PNG

Then, in source data table, add a calculated column with below DAX.

Cost =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Reference Table'[Value],
    'Reference Table'[Fruit/Size], 'Source Table'[Fruit Sold],
    'Reference Table'[Type], 'Source Table'[Size]
)

3.PNG

If you don't want to unpivot table, you can use below DAX to generate a cost column.

Cost =
IF (
    'Source Table'[Size] = "Large",
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        'Reference Table'[Large],
        'Reference Table'[Fruit/Size], 'Source Table'[Fruit Sold]
    ),
    IF (
        'Source Table'[Size] = "Medium",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            'Reference Table'[Medium],
        ),
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            'Reference Table'[Small],
        )
    )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could also try using the "What if" Parameter in the Powere BI Desktop This will allow your Power BI Reports to be change able for the end user 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi sailkitty. I took a look at what if parameters, and I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I do not need user input. I need a custom column that pulls a cost from a lookup table based on the fruit and size column. I would like the lookup table to be editable in query editor. Please let me know if I misunderstood. Thanks though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could also try using the "What if" Parameter in the Powere BI Desktop This will allow your Power BI Reports to be change able for the end user 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I have a cost table with object along the top and size along the bottom

How is this table like? Please show us an example.

What is the best way to generate a cost column, in a way that makes it easy to change the cost parameter if necessary

Do you want a cost column which is dynamically calculated based on slicer selection? What value should be slicer items?

Please provide sample data and expected result to make your requirement more clear. How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Below is a simple example for the data table, where the first two columns are queried from a MSSQL database. I would like the cost column to be calculated, based on a lookup table that gives cost for a particular fruit and size. 

data_table_example.PNG

Below is an example of the lookup table I would use:

lookup_table_example.PNG

And here is my expected result (the cost column is calculated based on the first two columns using the lookup table):

data_filled.PNG

Right now I am using many conditional statements to accomplish this. It would be nice if I could simple reference a lookup (second picture) table in Power Query M.

Thank you.

Hi @Anonymous,

You can first unpivot the reference table in Query Editor to change its structure to below:

1.PNG2.PNG

Then, in source data table, add a calculated column with below DAX.

Cost =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Reference Table'[Value],
    'Reference Table'[Fruit/Size], 'Source Table'[Fruit Sold],
    'Reference Table'[Type], 'Source Table'[Size]
)

3.PNG

If you don't want to unpivot table, you can use below DAX to generate a cost column.

Cost =
IF (
    'Source Table'[Size] = "Large",
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        'Reference Table'[Large],
    ),
    IF (
        'Source Table'[Size] = "Medium",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            'Reference Table'[Medium],
        ),
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            'Reference Table'[Small],
        )
    )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to create a data relationship between the two tables and then use the RELATED function in DAX but I cannot create a relationship as my cost parameter table has two fruits with the same costs:

pic4.PNG

Is this the right approach, or do I need to do a merge between the tables to get the desired output? I am essentially looking for something like VLOOKUP in Excel. 

Thanks.

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

You can do this by performing a merge operation with Power Query, here is how: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/merge-queries-power-query-fd157620-5470-4c0f-b132-7ca2616d17f9

If I understand correctly, you may first need to unpivot the table coming from the Excel spreadsheet

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.