Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reference filtered values in a formula

A slightly tricky one to explain, just wondering if anyone can help - or at least confirm it's not possible in Power BI.

We have 2 dimensions (Base Category & Target Category)  &  2 measures (NTO_Amount_Base & NTO_Amount_Target)

In my ropey screenshot below, the Base category slicer filters the Base Amount measure & the Target Slicer filters the Target Amount.

This works as expected.

What I need to do is create a new measure that simply calculates Target Amount - Base Amount

but based on the filtered amount values.

Is there anyway to reference the filtered values in my new measure?

The main issue (see table of data at the bottom) is that filtered rows will cancel each other out,

so i'm a bit stuck.

scrn.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi jbarlowjb,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to calculate the Target Amount - Base Amount, in this scenario, we can use two variable to calculate these two value, then return the Target Amount - Base Amount, please refer to the following DAX query:

Target-Base = 
var targetamount = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[data]),FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Category] = SELECTEDVALUE('Target Category'[Category])))
var baseamount = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[data]),FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Category] = SELECTEDVALUE('Base Category'[Category])))
return targetamount - baseamount

The result will like below:

Snipaste_2019-04-03_10-40-56.png

Best Regards,

Teige

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi jbarlowjb,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to calculate the Target Amount - Base Amount, in this scenario, we can use two variable to calculate these two value, then return the Target Amount - Base Amount, please refer to the following DAX query:

Target-Base = 
var targetamount = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[data]),FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Category] = SELECTEDVALUE('Target Category'[Category])))
var baseamount = CALCULATE(SUM(Data[data]),FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Category] = SELECTEDVALUE('Base Category'[Category])))
return targetamount - baseamount

The result will like below:

Snipaste_2019-04-03_10-40-56.png

Best Regards,

Teige

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.