Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rgimenez
Helper I
Helper I

RLS vs PRO Account

Hi,

I created some RLS rules in the dashboard, but I keep seeing all the data.

Would you know if for the rules / filters to be applied, everyone needs to have PRO account, or just who created the dashboard?

Thanks,

Rafael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You're welcome 🙂

Sure thing, let me clarify that.

Assuming you don't have Premium capacity on your tenant, all the users viewing the report would also require a Pro licence. It does not make a difference whether RLS roles are defined on the dataset.

The only way to avoid the report viewers requrining Pro licences would to have Premium capacity on your tenant and allocate the workspace to Premium capacity.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rgimenez
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Owen,

First of all, thank you for your time and explanation.

I already made all the rules in my data base (excel) and also shared for the users as Viewer.

But my pont is: to share with the rules (RLS) applied, all the users must have a PRO license or only me (because I created the dashboard).

Thank you.

Regards,

Rafael

You're welcome 🙂

Sure thing, let me clarify that.

Assuming you don't have Premium capacity on your tenant, all the users viewing the report would also require a Pro licence. It does not make a difference whether RLS roles are defined on the dataset.

The only way to avoid the report viewers requrining Pro licences would to have Premium capacity on your tenant and allocate the workspace to Premium capacity.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

It's crystal clear! Thank you so much!

OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Rafael,

Two points:

1. Regardless of RLS, in order for a user to view a report (assuming it has been shared with them one way or another), either the workspace must be assigned to Premium capacity (or be set up as a PPU workspace with all users having PPU licences) or the user must have a Pro licence. 
  2. For RLS filters to be applied, the user must have been assigned to one or more RLS roles for the dataset, and must not have "edit access" to the dataset. This means they cannot have anything higher than Viewer permissions if they have workspace access. If you published the Power BI report yourself, you should have edit access, meaning you will always see unfiltered data.
    See RLS documentation here.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.