Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jlegutko_abb
Frequent Visitor

RLS based on 3 conditions from multiple columns

Hi All,

I have a separate table called RLS-Accessdetails with person email, program, country/region and it looks as below:

I must create complex RLS which for example for Test User will show:

- only results from Poland for courses with PET tag,

- only results from Poland for courses with EL_Digital tag,

- results from all countries and regions for courses with PMDI tag,

- results from all countries and regions for courses with SCDI tag

I don't know how to make it possible if I have a few rows for each user email and rules are different for each tag.

Relationships between tables:

* TAGS and RLS-Access-Details (the sheet above)

jlegutko_abb_1-1626622513733.png

* CountrytoRegion (which is realted to main table with enrollments) to RLS-Access-Details

jlegutko_abb_2-1626622594194.png

Any suggestions how to make it work?

4 REPLIES 4
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jlegutko_abb ,

I must create complex RLS which for example for Test User will show:

- only results from Poland for courses with PET tag,

- only results from Poland for courses with EL_Digital tag,

- results from all countries and regions for courses with PMDI tag,

- results from all countries and regions for courses with SCDI tag

I don't know how to make it possible if I have a few rows for each user email and rules are different for each tag.

Is there any pattern? Can they be grouped?

In addition, could you create some sample data just for the three tables, "RLS-Accessdetails", "TAGS", "CountrytoRegion"? 

No need for real data, just need to know what your data structure is like.

Reference: How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jlegutko_abb I will start with writing a DAX measure that will return TRUE when different conditions are met and that will be first starting point.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jlegutko_abb can you share a sample pbix file and I will put the solution together, it is hard to explain without looking at the pbix. Remove sensitive information before sharing the file.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

hi @parry2k , thank you for the response. Unfortunately I can't share any pbix file. Maybe you can describe overall the concept? Or functions you would use to create that type of rls? Any hints for me?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.