Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ViewP
Frequent Visitor

Question about Viewing PDF in Power BI without converting it to base64

Hi!  
I'm not sure I should post this here or in Power Apps Forum since it is related to both of them.

I'm trying to use Power BI  to view PDF based on data selected in slicer

For Example , 

Branch Number

Basically, make visual show PDF of Branch's layout regarding to Branch Number in slicer that was selected.
My database is in Sharepoint Library / Onedrive folder that contain PDF files named according to the Branch Number.

I searched about my problem in this forum and found  that I need to either use 3rd party visual or convert to base64.

However, I can also use Power apps and heard that it can be embedded in Power BI.
The question is can I use Power apps as pdf viewer for power BI  without converting it to base64 ? 
If it is possible, could you please help explain how to do it ? (such as data needed for Power BI to pass to Power Apps and coding in Power Apps to read it )

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You could use something like this technique in a canvas app, then embed that in your report.

https://www.matthewdevaney.com/power-apps-view-a-pdf-stored-in-a-sharepoint-document-library/

You'd use the Power App visual in Power BI to set this up-- I've not actually tried this combo, but it sounds plausible. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

You could use something like this technique in a canvas app, then embed that in your report.

https://www.matthewdevaney.com/power-apps-view-a-pdf-stored-in-a-sharepoint-document-library/

You'd use the Power App visual in Power BI to set this up-- I've not actually tried this combo, but it sounds plausible. 

@christinepayton 

Thanks ! this is working 
However, the text in PDF still look blurry when at 0% zoom and need to zoom in the see clear text
It is  not good as open directly from the website.
This happend only when viewing Power BI in web browser like chrome or edge.

Any Idea how to fix this? Thanks!
But everything is crystal clear in Iphone and Ipad.

Hmm I would try fiddling with the scaling options. In Power BI, in the View tab, Page view dropdown, I would try setting it to "actual size" for your report vs fitting to width/height, my guess is it's the scaling that's causing the blurriness... but it might also be happening just for the app visual embed if it's trying to scale that, I'm not sure. There's also a canvas app size scaling feature you could try turning off, though that one's usually off by default I think. 

Dinesh_Suranga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @ViewP ,
Did you try to direct to a url when you click a button in power bi?

It does not show your pdf in the report but once you ckick the button after selecting the Branch Number, it will open pdf in your web browser.

Thanks.

Hi @Dinesh_Suranga 
Thanks for replying.
I looked into it , But user prefer to view it in power BI as they need to view other visual in the same page at the same time.

Dinesh_Suranga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @ViewP ,

Did you try to show a web content in power bi?
Then you can try to load pdf to thet web content.
I used following video to learn to write back from PBI to Power Apps. You can use that to pass data from PBI to Power Apps.
https://youtu.be/uPHwjPRnRwE?si=0uQcxboDyfDNkhRv 
Thanks

Do you mean by html web viewer in Power BI ?
I tried that but  since the files are located in sharepoint , microsoft reject the html web viewer request.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.