Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

visheshjain
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Query folding using AWS Athena

Hello everyone,

I am using AWS Athena as a data source with an ODBC connector.

I tried using the Athena connector in PBI Desktop but it was not working and I'm not sure if query folding will work with Athena.

I want to enable incremental refresh but for the you need query folding to be working.

For some reason, query folding is not working once the table is loaded in PQ.

Please share if you have any information on how to enable query folding?

Thank you,
Vishesh Jain

Did I answer your question?
If yes, then please mark my post as a solution!

Thank you,
Vishesh Jain

Proud to be a Super User!

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @visheshjain 

Based on your description, You are using the ODBC connector to connect to AWS Athena. Are you now trying to switch to the Amazon Athena connector?

Query folding supports SQL Server, Oracle, and data sources that support ODBC connectivity. Data sources without any query mechanism are not supported.

You can use View Native Query or Query Diagnostics to see if query folding has occurred.

vxuxinyimsft_0-1715754331790.png

The View Native Query option is only available for certain relational DB/SQL generation connectors. For example, it does not apply to OData-based connectors, even if there is folding happening on the backend. The Query Diagnostics feature is the best way to see if folding has occurred for non-SQL connectors.

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-xuxinyi-msft,

I wasn't trying to switch to the Athena connector, but if anyone can show me that how/if query folding is working with Athena as a source, I would not mind switching.

If anyone has any other option, apart from the one that I have mentioned, in which I can connect PBI Desktop and Service to AWS Athena, I am all ears.

Please let me know if you have a solution for this.

Thank you for responding!

Did I answer your question?
If yes, then please mark my post as a solution!

Thank you,
Vishesh Jain

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.