Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Badeend

Query SQL server from Powerbi and get filtered results

Hi,

I assume that my question might be straight forward but I have been reading forum and blog posts for 2 hours and can't get it to work. 

I'm trying to get data from an sql server which has a very big amount of rows. 

If I understand the direct import from PowerBI it tries to import the entire database. 

I tried this a couple of times but stopped the program after a couple of hours because it kept importing.

What i need to get this to work is to filter the query, for example where timestamp > '2022/01/01'.

This would limit the rows sufficiently.

I would like to do this dynamicaly so i can change the query everytime.

For this i used Power Query Editor and in the advanced editor i tried this:

let
Source = Sql.Databases("Servername",[query="SELECT * FROM [PRODPLAN].[dbo].[Actualstops]"])
in
Source

Here I get this error:

DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: This function doesn't support the query option 'query' with value '"SELECT * FROM [PRODPLAN].[dbo].[Actualstops]"'.
Details:
SELECT * FROM [PRODPLAN].[dbo].[Actualstops]

I checked google for this error and one of the possible fixes is to turn of encryption. 

This did not work.

I it possible to show me how to get a query that is possible to be parameterised by timestamp?

Thanks in advance,

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Badeend , have you written this query while creating the connection or later added the code.

If you have added sql later. Just create a new connection with query in the advance option and check

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.