Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

joseph_Dev
Frequent Visitor

Queries created in Power Query are not updating with changes made in Dynamics 365 Tables

Hello community,

In Power BI Desktop, I've created a report using Dynamics 365 Sales as my data source. I connected it via DirectQuery Mode.

The report contains three queries sourced directly from Dynamics 365 (three tables in the CRM), along with two queries created from blank using Power Query and the existing queries within the report itself. These two queries are only present in the report not in the CRM.

Upon publishing the report to the Power BI service and integrating the dashboard with Dynamics 365:

1. Changes made to the data in the three tables sourced directly from Dynamics 365 Sales are reflected almost immediately in the dashboard. However,
  2. Changes made to the data in the two tables created within the report do not seem to show in the the dashboard unless I go back to the Desktop File, Refresh, then publish again. Consequently, the graphs based on these tables do not update accordingly.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or have insights into potential solutions? Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. All my graphs are built using table 'Consolidated' which does not exist in the CRM, only in the report & power query.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @v-junyant-msft,

Thank you for elaborating. So basically changes made in new tables created within power query but not in dataverse do not show in the graphs of these tables.

Since seeing live changes on graphs related to cashflows is a necessary requirement by top management, I made something a little bit redundant but necessary: In my dataverse table, I basically created the columns that are supposed to be fields in the related tables, and used Power Automate to populate them. Now, despite being redundant, my dataverse table has all the fields required in the graphs and changes are being reflected live. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
joseph_Dev
Frequent Visitor

Hello @v-junyant-msft,

Yes exactly. Here is the image:
Capture.PNG

The Highlighted ActiveBacklogs, ActivePipelines, and Cashflows are straight from Dynamics 365. 

ActiveCashflows and Consolidated are created as blank queries but from the data of the 3 tables above. Consolidated is the one used in my graphs since it joins ActiveBacklogs, ActivePipelines, and ActiveCashflows.

Best regards,

Joseph

Hi @joseph_Dev ,

Now that you have confirmed that my understanding is correct, I have performed an actual test based on your situation. And I have confirmed that if your data table was created in Power Query using Blank Query, it still cannot be updated in Power BI Service even if the data in that table comes from the other three tables you have connected from Dynamics 365.
This is because the data source for these two data tables is Power Query itself and not your original data source. This means that the process of updating these two data tables can only be done locally and there is no way to pass it on to Power BI Service. So I'm sorry to tell you that you can only update these two reports by updating them locally and then republishing them.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-junyant-msft,

Thank you for elaborating. So basically changes made in new tables created within power query but not in dataverse do not show in the graphs of these tables.

Since seeing live changes on graphs related to cashflows is a necessary requirement by top management, I made something a little bit redundant but necessary: In my dataverse table, I basically created the columns that are supposed to be fields in the related tables, and used Power Automate to populate them. Now, despite being redundant, my dataverse table has all the fields required in the graphs and changes are being reflected live. 

v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joseph_Dev ,

If I understand you correctly, your two reports were created directly in Power Query via Blank Query, so the data source for these two reports is itself and not related to Dynamics 365. In Power BI Service, you can't make such a report refresh in real time because it doesn't connect to the original data source, and the only way for you to refresh the report is to re-upload it after updating it on Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.